Saturday, May 18, 2019

A Day at Kensington Palace!

Hello everyone! My name is Kendra Manges. I just completed my junior year at CSS. I recently switched my major from music education to elementary education. I have two younger brothers who are 18 and 20.  I adore my cat and treat her like my child. Her name is Nim and she is Polydactyl, which means she has thumbs. 
Today was our first full free day. We had breakfast at the hotel, then headed to the tube station. After transferring a line anwere about seventeen pounds. However, we got a student discount which brought it down to d walking for a bit a group of us made it to Kensington Palace. I was surprised at the reasonable pricing of the tickets. They roughly thirteen pounds. Throughout London there is so much history and Kensington is no exception. Several monarchs have lived there and continue to. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are the ones that currently reside there. The entire place took my breath away. There is an upper floor right above the entrance which has three tiaras, one of which belonged to Queen Victoria. The Tiara, necklace, and earrings were a gift from Albert. He insisted on getting her jewelry for special occasions. This started the tradition of receiving jewelry. Throughout the whole tour I couldn’t believe the artwork on the ceilings and walls. That several generations of the royal family have lived and visited Kensington. To stand where so many influential people have been was incredible. After the tour I needed some time to decompress and take in everything I had seen up until this point. Tasha, Maethe, and I went back to the hotel to rest our feet and grab a quick lunch. We then went to the British Museum, this was my second time going and there was still so many new things to see. I ate some fish and chips for supper then ended my day with a cup of tea. 
Tomorrow Maethe and I are headed to Brighton, a seaside town about an hour outside of London. 
I can’t wait to see what else London has to offer!        

4 comments:

  1. I'm jealous you went to Kensington! Hopefully I'll make it there on this trip, too! I've really loved all of the beautiful architecture and art we've seen so far, so I'm sure this place is no exception! I have seen the British Museum before, but I hope to go back again because it was way too big to see everything in one visit - I think my favorite artifact I saw was the Rosetta Stone!

    My day was pretty packed as well. I have a friend visiting me for the weekend so we planned a weekend together! We ate breakfast at The Breakfast Club Soho (waited awhile for a table but worth it!), went back to Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, and Big Ben, saw the Natural History Museum, and ended the day with a fabulous performance of 'Betrayal' starring Tom Hiddleston, Zawe Ashton and Charlie Cox! Even got photos and autographs with them all!

    Glad you're enjoying London as much as I am! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so fun visiting Kensington with you, Kendra!! The Sunken gardens which surround the palace were my favorite part of the day; we were standing in the same place Harry & Meghan (Duke & Duchess of Sussex) announced their engagement! I also loved walking by the Princess Diana Memorial Playground where we saw so many sweet kiddos. Thanks for making the day absolutely amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kendra,

    I wasn’t sure if my other post went through so here is my second shot! Your post about Keninsten really s makes me want to go and visit the palace as it sounds very fun and beautiful! I had no clue that there are still a duchess and duke that live their either and I found that really cool! Even more so that they allow tours of the palace! Was this trip expensive? Was the museum of London less overwhelming the second time you went?

    Thanks,

    Katelynn

    ReplyDelete