Friday, May 17, 2019

We're Just as Sane as She is... Or Are We?

Greetings from London! My name is Bailey Johnson and I am so excited to be here for the next few weeks! I am a very recent graduate of CSS (the only one on this trip might I add) after pursuing a humanities degree for the past three years. I visited London last year when I studied abroad in Ireland for the spring semester, but I was only here about 2.5 days, so I feel very fortunate to be back and see more of the city! I really enjoy traveling if you can't tell...

Today was a tiring, yet productive and worthwhile day. This morning, our group revisited the Old Vic Theatre for a tour, where we had seen the show All My Sons this past Wednesday afternoon. Our guide, Ned, gave us a very descriptive and thorough tour of the place. We were even allowed on the actor's stage to take photos of the theatre view facing the audience! Although I was very tired, I somehow managed to stay awake.

Tyler, Itzy, Evanna and I at Waterloo Station. PC: Chanty
Following the tour, we all had free time until 7:30/19:30, when we would go to see another show. I and three of my classmates, Itzy, Tyler, and Chanty, decided to head to Chinatown, but as we were heading through the Waterloo Underground Station, we spotted none other than Evanna Lynch, who played Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter movies! In the amount of time it took us to finally decide to ask for a picture, we had almost lost her, but we didn't! Mission. Accomplished.

A little starstruck, we then wandered through Chinatown and ate lunch at a yummy Chinese restaurant. After some more wandering in the area, we decided to keep with our Harry Potter theme and saw the theatre where they are currently performing 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child', walked over the Millenium Bridge used in one of the films and visited Platform 9 3/4 and the gift shop at King's Cross Station. We concluded our day with an intense performance of Witness for the Prosecution, which took place in an actual courtroom in London County Hall. It's been my favorite play I've seen so far (but I'm seeing Tom Hiddleston in 'Betrayal' tomorrow, so maybe that'll change).

This trip is only just getting started, but everything keeps getting better and better!
The Millenium Bridge over the Thames River. 


Chinatown! 

6 comments:

  1. So jealous that you met Evanna!! Quite the "Harry Potter" Day. Would you recommend visiting China Town?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend Chinatown! I'd say it's mostly food, but there's other neat shops in the area. I suggest going later in the evening for a fun atmosphere :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Bailey! You have had such a good celebrity streak going! Thats so awesome, I'm super jealous. I enjoyed sitting next to you at the Witness for the Prosecution, I liked it a lot as well. We have a lot of bridges we want to see would you recommend the millennium bridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bridge is under some construction but don't let that stop you from going! Depending on which way you cross over, you'll either end up at St. Paul's Cathedral or the Tate Modern art museum! Especially if you're a Harry Potter fan, it's fun to say you've been on the bridge :)

      Delete
  3. Dang, that's quite the opportunity! I wonder how many other stars we'll find just walking around London? Happy to hear you liked Chinatown! Dawson and I were roaming around there for a while, but all of the shops only took cash instead of chip debit cards, so we had to leave most of the souvenirs we wanted to bring along. The smells in that place... so much good food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been extremely lucky with meeting celebrities, and there's been more since! That's too bad about your chip card experience (I've mostly been using my card so I should probably get some cash just to be safe...). Otherwise Chinatown is amazing, especially the food!

      Delete