Thursday, May 16, 2019

Fun Filled Day in London

Hi everyone! My name is Sophie Goad I am just finishing up my junior year at St. Scholastica as a Biology and Psychology double major with a chemistry minor, I hope to someday use those to become a pediatrician. I grew up in Duluth Minnesota and this trip has been my first time out of the country!

Today was a very full day. We began our day with a tour of Westminster Abbey which was breathtaking. We were able to see the coronation chair that has been used for centuries of coronations, tombs of past royalty, and outstandingly beautiful gothic architecture. 



We also attended a lecture on Queen Victoria and the proceeded to explore the National Portrait Gallery. The art there was amazing. We marveled at the paintings of important (mostly) English figures from the 18thcentury to the present. This painting of Ed Sheeran (my absolute favorite singer) was my personal favorite however, I also enjoyed all of the extremely detailed sculptures.  




After exploring the gallery, we explored some of the city. 



We had an early dinner at Ye Old Cheshire Cheese, a famous, cavernous pub of which Charles Dickens used to be a regular. We walked down three flights of stairs to enjoy our meal underground in the gorgeous establishment, which also had amazing food. I of course tried the famous English food, fish and chips accompanied by a cider. 





After dinner, prior to heading to an amazing show, we explored the side streets of the neighborhood. We found amazing buildings and gardens. We came across some hidden gems of architecture, greenery, shopping, and restaurants.





Just before heading to the show we finished our day with we made and ice cream stop at a place called Milk Train. It was perfectly picturesque and the ice cream was fantastic.




After ice cream we attended “The Play That Went Wrong’ a super fun comedy which was the perfect end to our day. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sophie! That ice cream looks amazing, I will have to ask you where you found it and get some! When I was at the National Portrait Gallery I went on a little treasure hunt looking for portraits painted by Virginia Woolf's sister, Vanessa Bell. I found that she had painted four portraits that were in the Gallery and it was something that I had no idea about until that day.

    ReplyDelete