Saturday, May 18, 2019

Seeing London Near and Far on our First Free Day

Hello from across the pond! My name is Lori Huseby and I am a rising junior majoring in mathematics and chemistry with a double minor in economics and data analytics. Yes, it seems weird that I would take a class based on the literature of London, but I have always wanted to travel to Europe and especially the UK, and being able to do it with some great friends is even better!

Today was the first free day of our trip and I took it easy and stayed close to the city. Our first stop was the London Eye, and after waiting in multiple lines, I finally got to see London from 135 meters up! I was a remarkable experience and I would definitely recommend going if anyone has the chance. 

After this we went on the tube towards Soho to go shopping. We went on a street filled with very, VERY, expensive clothes and bags, and I discovered that I felt bad for even walking on their carpet in the stores. We ended our shopping trip at the Birkenstock store, where I was able to find sandals for much lower prices because they were not taxed coming across the ocean. I am now the proud owner of a three-strap pair of Birks and they will be in the suitcase on the way back. We then headed to King’s Cross station where we were able to see Platform 9 ¾ from the Harry Potter movie. 


It was not actually filmed at that specific spot, but it was still cool to see them make a movie reference in such a public place. After this somewhat hectic day, a few of us decided to enjoy some wholesome American food and we visited the local Pizza Hut. I really enjoyed having some food from home and it nicely closed out the day before I head to “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” show on Sunday!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Lori!

    I love that picture of the London Eye that you included in your post! It is from such an interesting perspective and one you could only get from being right next to it. I really enjoyed the experience as well, even the pre-ride “4-D Experience” they showed which I was not expecting.

    That street on Soho was something! I knew the brand Burberry was based in London, since it is literally called Burberry London, so I thought it would be cool to check it out. I knew it was pricey, but I had no idea it was THAT expensive. As you mentioned, I literally felt like I did not belong there; after checking the price tag on one of the bags, I felt bad that I had even touched it in the first place.

    I’m glad that you were able to find a pair of Birkenstocks and I hope that you enjoy “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child”!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lori!

    I really enjoyed your blog and the photos are amazing! Unfortunately, I am not going to go up in the London Eye so you will have to show me pictures from it! How was the Harry Potter show? I read about it and thought it sounded really magical. (Pun intended) I was also at Kings Cross this free weekend where I caught a bus before going to the airport on my way to Copenhagen. However, I did not have time to go to Platform 9 and 3/4 so I will have to do that another day. Looking forward to reading your next blog!

    Syd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lori!
    I’m so hoping to be able to experience the eye before we leave London, it sounds fantastic! When we went to see “Witness for the Prosecution” I walked under the eye and it looks amazing! Thanks for sharing that interesting perspective in the photo. I’ve also not yet gotten to King’s Cross station to see platform 9 3/4 and as a Harry Potter fan I think I must get there! I’m glad we went out to get some Pizza Hut pizza, especially because we were craving some food from home! I hope you enjoyed the play!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lori,

    I love your photos and your unique prospective on the events that we did and saw on this day! I honestly didn't realize that the London eye is 135 meters up either so that was very interesting. (Maybe I missed this on the tour). It definitely seemed to be a Harry Potter themed weekend and it was awesome seeing 9 and 3/4 and the play you. I had no idea that that wasn’t where that part of the movie was filmed either so that was very intriguing to me. Burberry was a funny experience, it was honestly amazing seeing how many pounds some of those purses were worth like oh my gosh! I really want to see how much brands like Gucci and Coach are here compared to the USA now from being in that store. I believe it would be sort of interesting to compare prices now that we’ve been in Burberry don’t you think? I cannot wait for more adventures!

    Looking forward to reading more from you,

    Katelynn

    ReplyDelete