Sunday, May 19, 2019

Tea time w/ the Queen (I mean, basically)



Hi all!



My name is Faith Dorwart, and I am a senior at CSS. I am studying Exercise Physiology with intentions to apply to physical therapy graduate school this summer. I have lived year-round in Duluth, MN since 2016, but I am originally from Roseau, MN. I am also a student worker in the Admissions office at St. Scholastica.



Today, was another fantastic day in London! My friend Katie and I are both enthusiasts of the British Royal Family, so today we decided to visit Buckingham Palace (again). Once we arrived at the Palace, we saw many police officers and massive numbers of people waiting by the gates. Was the Queen coming out? We weren’t sure, but after some time spent amongst the people, we decided to find a spot for afternoon tea. However, as we were leaving, we turned around to find the changing of the guard taking place right behind us! We watched as the “Old Guard” of soldiers was relieved by a “New Guard.” We stood right next to the gate of the Wellington Barracks to watch the soldiers be inspected and listen to the Regimental marching band play. It was great!



For afternoon tea, Katie and I decided to stop at The English Rose cafe & tea shop. It was down the street from Buckingham Palace, so we felt it was as close as we were going to get to having Tea with the Queen. We had Cream tea for two, which consisted of adorable tea cups & saucers, a teapot, warm scones, and vanilla chai tea. After tea, we decided to walk through Green Park, and once we were there, it began to lightly sprinkle; it wouldn’t be London if we weren’t caught in the rain at least once! Can’t wait for another fun day tomorrow, hopefully with some sun!


4 comments:

  1. Hey Faith!

    So happy for you that you were able to go to the Palace again. I felt like we didn’t spend much time there as a whole group and that it would have been nice to. I had seen cream tea on menus but wasn’t sure what it was so thank you for the explanation! Very true about the weather of London being spontaneously rainy. However, I do think we’ve gotten really lucky this first week with the weather. Are you planning on going to see Trump at Westminster on the 3rd? I was curious if the Queen would be meeting him outside and you might be able to get a glimpse of her.

    If you go, best of luck to you!
    Syd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faith,

    It's cool that you got the opportunity to visit Buckingham Palace and view it in more detail, I'm kinda sad that we didn't spend a lot of time there so I liked reading about your experience! On a more tea related note, I guess I really didn't realize how many types of tea are available when you get to choose. I think of English Breakfast when I think of getting tea, but vanilla chai sounds great!!

    Glad you guys had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Faith!
    This day was honestly one of the best days I’ve had in London so far! I was so excited when we’d gone to Buckingham Palace before on tour but I really wanted to get up close and have some time to take it all in. I couldn’t believe how busy it was when we first got there! I’m so glad we went off for some yummy afternoon tea to let the crowds die down a bit. Can’t wait for more royal adventures with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Faith,

    I admire your passion for the culture of London - more specifically for the Royal Family and their history. Your enthusiasm and knowledge about them is fascinating (as I've heard from working with you last summer) and it is so cool you got to be up close and personal with the Royal Guard and be nearby to have tea. I mean, being in London is spectacular! But, I bet having tea near the Royal Palace feels like a whole different world. It makes me wish I actually enjoyed tea!

    Excited to share more adventures with you while we're here!

    ReplyDelete