Sunday, June 2, 2019

Last Sunday of the trip, and a hot one too!

Hello again! I can’t believe we only have three more days left in London! Today I tried to embrace London and Britain as we first started our day at the Museum of London. I found it really interesting how London became the city it is today and how it has been shaped by so many factors. The most interesting exhibition to me was the 2012 London Olympic Games exhibition, where it has parts of the opening ceremony in it and how they made the main olympic torch.

2012 London Olympic Games Torch
I am a big fan of the Olympics and watch them every time they are on and I really appreciated how they had put the exhibition together in general. I then decided to have lunch at the cafe there and then headed into the shop, because why not? After this we headed to Tate Britain, an art museum dedicated to artists who are from Britain. To be honest, after seeing the Louvre, paintings were not as interesting to me, but the contemporary art was stunning there.
After this we had some free time before our show and I headed back to the hotel for a little bit just to hang out before our next adventure. Then Cassidy, Maethe, and I headed to Buckingham palace, as they had put out the United States flags because President Trump will be visiting tomorrow.


Me with the U.S flag and Union Jack

We took some pictures and then shopped some more before heading towards Leicester Square for some food. We decided to stop at Nando’s which was a chicken restaurant. I thought it was pretty good and would probably go there again if I had more time. Then it was time for my first musical, Six. The musical was about the six wives of Henry VIII and I thought it was absolutely amazing. I really liked how they each tried to compete with each other until they realized that they should instead be coming together and rewrite HERSTORY instead of history (I love the play on words). I finished off the night by going to The Court pub and having a couple drinks. London has been amazing so far and I cannot wait to spend the last couple days here.

3 comments:

  1. Holy moly was it ever hot out! I really wanted to go for a swim in some of the ponds at Kensington Gardens. I really thought the Olympic torch was fascinating. I stayed in there and watched the video which was really informative in the creation process. The photo of you with the British flags on both sides is absolutely stunning. It was very smart on your part to go there yesterday as opposed to today with Trump being there. The musical was also very enjoyable. Glad to hear that you liked your first musical ever!

    Syd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photo on the mall with the flags in the background! It’s so crazy that we are going to be in the UK when a US president visits- I’m excited to see all the news coverage.
    I also loved seeing Six- it was, in my opinion, the most exciting show we’ve seen this entire trip! I’m glad we could go out after as a large group for one last hurrah in London.
    -Faith

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Faith, Six was a great show, probably my favorite of the two musicals we saw (though I can't compare it to Les Mis, which I saw on Saturday). Something I noticed on Sunday was that the Tube was way cooler than being above ground, which was weird since it's usually the other way around.

    ReplyDelete