Friday, May 31, 2019

Make Your Own Theater

Hello everybody, Dawson here.
Yesterday, our London Literature class split from the rest of the group and visited the Charles Dickens Museum. It was very interesting to see the writing desk that fostered the creations of one of the authors we read in class earlier this semester. We ate lunch at the museum and then met back up with the Theater group at the British Museum to look at the exhibits there. I love the British Museum because there is so much to explore there and even though I had been to it before, I still had so many exhibits to visit. My favorite exhibit that I visited in the museum was a room filled with pocket watches and intricate clocks.
After breaking free from the rest of the group, Tasha and I took the tube to Covent Garden to adventure through the market that the area has to offer. We were walking through the market when we came across the sign for an "Old-Fashioned Toy Store" and I immediately wanted to go in to see what was offered. We walked up two flights of stairs painted in an innocent, child-like fashion and finally stepped into Benjamin Pollock's Toyshop. Wow, this shop was awesome. There were toys at great prices, for how rare they were. The coolest part of the shop was that they sold theaters that you could make out of paper. In London, we have gone to countless theaters and seen countless shows and to see these theaters was wonderful. Each set would provide the means to create and perform, with the use of paper puppets, one classical play or musical. The theaters ranged in size from ones smaller than a matchbox to ones that were larger than a laptop or small television screen. With them, you could perform plays like Oliver Twist, Cinderella, and even Alice in Wonderland. I fell in love with the atmosphere of the store and learned from the cashier as I checked out that the store had been running under the same name since the 1800s. I left the store with a set that will produce a Harlequin show and a smile on my face.



1 comment:

  1. Dawson,

    I've been to Covent Garden a few times and I'm sad because I missed this toy store! It's awesome that we've been able to see so many different theaters in London. The buildings in London are so old and the architecture inside the theaters is so intricate and beautiful. Those little theater toys really look like the real thing, I'm sad I couldn't see them in person.

    Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete