Monday, June 3, 2019

Monday madness (not really though)

Time sure has flown by. It seems like just yesterday I was stepping off a plane into a foreign country. It is our second last day here and there is a feeling of sadness in the air. Some people are homesick, but other individuals (myself included) are sad to be leaving this wonderful place. Today started with a longer than normal tube ride to Higate Cemetery.



The cemetery has a diverse group of people buried there including Karl Marx and Anna Mahler. Karl Marx has a huge statue of his head which was rather amusing. Marx is perhaps the most well known man to be buried there because how he spread Communism, but I found Anna Mahler more exciting. The only famous Mahler I know is Gustav Mahler (father of Anna). Being creatively gifted as a composer, he must have also passed that ability along to his daughter who was a sculptor.




For lunch a small group of us traveled back to Borough Market. It is made up of so many food vendors that is was difficult to choose what to eat. My favorite meal was from an Ethiopian vendor where I had rice with a spicy vegetarian sauce on top. Next we went to Covent Gardens which is basically a large shopping district within London. Both Rachael and I got souvenirs here. At night we went to our last play, Everybody’s Talking About Jamie. It’s really sad to think about leaving this wonderful group of people in my new favorite city, but I am still looking forward to being reunited with my family at home.

Syd



2 comments:

  1. Reading your post definitely makes me sad to go home! I have always loved London but after spending the last three weeks here, I’ve grown used to its culture; I am really going to miss it all when we fly home. It’s been such an amazing opportunity for all of us! I hope to be back sometime in the future :)
    -Faith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Syd!
    Today's trip to Highgate Cemetery was super interesting. I thought many of the memorials/stones were beautiful. I was just thinking about the food at Borough Market today. There's so many different things to try there. I am definitely one of those people who is anxious to get home. I wouldn't say I'm homesick, I just miss being able to cook for myself and find some quiet time out of the city! And of course, I really look forward to telling my family all about this trip. I'm so glad we had this opportunity!

    ReplyDelete