Thursday, May 30, 2019

A Night of Empowerment.

We started our morning with a clipper (boat) ride to Greenwich. We toured the Queens House, which now houses a little over seven hundred paintings. We then went to a cafe for lunch before going to the Greenwich Observatory. Where we stood on either side of the Prime Meridian! We had some free time where we went for some coffee near the hotel. Our show for the evening was Emilia. I went in not knowing the plot at all. It revolved around a woman named Emilia who was way ahead of her time. She was a poet and a feminist one at that. It was a story about her life. The loss of her parents and child and not being able to publish her work. I won't give too much away though. I loved the ending where she gave a speech about how we as women need to stand up for ourselves. That we should support each other. I was blown away, the entire cast was so passionate about this show. I think that's what made me like it even more. They were also all women which was funny when you realized they were playing men. In Shakespeares time women weren't allowed on stage. I'm so glad we got too see this show and learn more about this woman Emilia. This photo is of a pamphlet thrown into the crowd when they started publishing her work. It added to the show, it made it more real for me. Out of all the shows we could have seen I'm glad this one was picked.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree about the play! The actors did a really good job of conveying the emotions. One thing I was wondering was how you felt about the actress changes with the role of Emilia? Personally, I most appreciated how they included an all female cast and then additionally females with physical abnormalities. The last speech was really moving and made me (as well as many others in the audience) feel invincible.

    The small group I was with managed to find the Greenwich Market which had a lot of unique street vendors. I would compare it to Borough Market.

    Cheers!
    Syd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on everything you mentioned about the play. The fact that it was all women, and the strong message they had to share with all of us brought me to tears. It was moving and beautiful and empowering all at the same time. I think that overall it was a great play that many people should go out and see.

    ReplyDelete