Saturday, May 25, 2019

Stop and Smell the Roses... Seriously, Do It.

Hello everyone, it's Bailey again!

Today kicked off our free three-day weekend due to Monday being a bank holiday (it's also Memorial Day Weekend back in the U.S.)! That being said, about half of our group made plans to travel outside of London for the long weekend, but I decided to stay here because a.) There's plenty to do, b.) Travel coordinating just wasn't happening, and c.) $$$.

I began my day by "sleeping in" until about 8:30 (a rare opportunity), ate some breakfast and proceeded to stay in my room until after 11 debating what I should actually do for the day. It turned out to be pleasantly sunny, so I decided it would be a good time to revisit Regents Park. I had been through the park a few days ago with one of my classmates when we went to the London Zoo, but I was never able to fully explore the area. Today presented the perfect opportunity to go back, so I packed some snacks, a blanket, water, sunglasses, and other essentials before heading out.

The 'Double Delight' flower.
The park is about a 20-minute walk from the hotel. Totaling 39 acres, the park is massive, but with all of the maps and signage, it's easy to find your way around. I headed towards Queen Mary's Garden, which I hadn't seen yet. Upon my arrival, I immediately regretted coming alone because I truly needed (and wanted) someone to do a full-on photo shoot of me. The scenery was so beautiful, featuring colorful arrays of different types of flowers, willow trees, a waterfall, and wildlife spread everywhere. I easily could have spent all day in this single garden that spread for what seemed miles, but I knew there was so much more to see. So, I took a bazillion pictures and poked around for a while before finally moving on.

Next, I crossed the Longbridge, which overlooked part of the boating lake. Waterfowls were scattered in the area, including ducks, swans, and cranes. I continued around the lake, seeing more jaw-dropping views and capturing plenty of picture-perfect moments. I was super tempted to pay to use a paddleboat on the lake but decided against the idea.

I came across a sign that explained some facts about Regents Park, including that there are nearly 1400 recorded species of wildlife, over 400 plant species, and more than 500 species of invertebrates that can be found. I think the most unique animal I saw was a turtle, but I accidentally scared it away. It's also home to one of the best bird-watching locations in London, which was definitely relevant during my visit.

The flowers smelled amazing!
After some more wandering, picture-taking and buying some ridiculously overpriced frozen yogurt, I settled in the Cumberland Green area to eat some more food, people-watch and take a snooze on my blanket while tanning in the sun. I did get some tan lines, but unfortunately, I also burnt on my shoulders. A couple of hours later, I decided to head back to the hotel.

After chilling in my room for a while, I went out to dinner with Merry and Maethe to a Thai restaurant just a couple of blocks from our hotel. The food was yummy, but man, I just can't handle spicy things no matter how hard I try. After dinner, I went back to the hotel and did nothing for a bit (again), but I did go down to the breakfast room and chatted with some of my classmates later in the evening.

Tomorrow, I'll be going to the Notting Hill area with my friend Risako, a CSS alum, who is currently attending graduate school here in London! We studied abroad together last year in Ireland and I haven't seen her since, so I'm excited to meet up!

I can't believe we're already halfway through our time in London and I really don't want it to end, but I'm definitely trying to make the most of every day!


At the top of the waterfall in Queen Mary's Gardens. What a view!





5 comments:

  1. Hey Bailey! Those gardens look amazing! I think on my free day next Saturday iIwill definitely go and see them now because of those amazing photos. I did not realize how big Regents park actually was. When I went to Paris this weekend with a few others, we also stopped in a park by Montmartre, but it was not near as big as that one, but did have similar flowers in it. I'm happy for you that you got to see other animals other than the pigeons London and Paris seem to be full of!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bailey!
    I was at Regents Park briefly, and you are right it is beautiful!! Let me know if you ever wanna do that photoshoot, or maybe go peddle boating on the lake, I would love to join you! I had no idea so many different species live there or that it is that large, I definitely need to spend some more time exploring it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite park I've been to in London! And I will definitely take you up on that photoshoot/paddle-boating offer!

      Delete
  3. Hey Bailey!
    Regents Park sounds amazing! It would be so awesome to go out and see the different plants and animals that we won't normally see in London. So far I have only been to two of the parks here in London, but now Regents Park is at the top of my list. I'll make sure to bring at least one other person with me so that I can take a nice photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing! Definitely bring another person with you for photos (let me know if you need someone.. haha)

      Delete