Sunday, May 19, 2019

I might be “A Bit of a Brit”?

Hello,

My name is Tyler Russell, and I will be an upcoming Junior student at The College of Saint Scholastica. I’m double majoring in Health Humanities and Psychology with a minor in Spanish. I’m also in the honors program and prepping for med school in the future. I come from a small town called Maple Lake, Minnesota, just a few hours south-southwest of Duluth. Since coming to school, I have been found a passion for social justice and being active on campus - along with many jobs, such as Box Office Manager for the CSS Theatre and newly appointed Campus Rep Coordinator for the admissions office, to name a few. 

It’s been a week since we’ve arrived in London, and I may have found a new love! London has been spectacular, and there is so much to see and do in the city. I’ve traveled abroad once before in Spain. However, London has always been in my top three places to visit since I was a kid. I’ve always been a book nerd and movie fanatic, and when the stories are set in London or characters to have British accents, I don’t know what it is, but it makes it so much better! So, of course, my first stop was to take a pic with one of the infamous telephone booths in London. Within just a few minutes of walking around, I started seeing them everywhere! But one day, I found this black booth that I found quite peculiar. Might it be the dark side of Britain?


Near the hotel I found a lot of references to my surname - “Little Russell Street” and “Russell Square” (pictures here) and I thought “Wow, not only does this make me famous, but this makes it so much easier to know where I am!” Within just a few days, I felt so comfortable finding my way around and getting used to the culture in London. It’s difficult to explain, but it feels...natural. 









3 comments:

  1. Hi Tyler, I am glad you are enjoying your visit in London. As I read your post I feel apart of your journey (I have witnessed both images being taken!) and continue to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler,

    I feel the same way about London; I've always wanted to visit because I love stories that take place here or that include British characters/culture. It took a few days to adjust but I know what you mean when you say it feels natural, I feel like I've been here before even though I haven't! I also think it's cool that you found a black telephone booth, I haven't seen one at all.

    Hope you're enjoying the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like London is the kind of city where it's easy to find yourself at home no matter who we are or where we're from, but you seem to have taken to it so easily I'm almost jealous!

    ReplyDelete