Thursday, May 23, 2019

*Insert Culturally Offensive London Joke Here*

Hey there! Looks like these blogs are a thing, and I'm already writing one haphazardly and on little sleep, so here goes: I'm Mitchell Gertken! I'm a fourth year Communication, Theatre and the Arts student/English double major, spending some time abroad for the first time... Ever! I never set foot much outside of Central Minnesota, much less the country itself, so.. this has been a wild ride so far! Almost getting lost in the Chicago airport, understanding what jet lag really feels like, figuring out airline food isn't as disgusting as I'd been led to believe, and everything else that's been happening in this whirlwind of a journey to get across the pond has left me with a bit of whiplash, but I'm here! Finally in London - a place I've wanted to be in for a long while, but was always too afraid to venture out to - and trying to enjoy myself as best I can here! Even when it's beginning to get unseasonable hot for a Minnesotan-bred autumn/winter child.

And, if I'm being honeat, I think it's worked out pretty well so far.

For the most part.

I say for the most part, because of one thing in particular (which I might get into withwa later post, since I'll be more able-minded in the morning). Of course, I'm going to dramatize this because, hey, theatre student, but it's still the truth: how the hell The Starry Messenger has a spot in the professional London theatre circuit is appalling. Because we had gone to see the show last night. After being stuck in  - albeit comfortable - theatre seats for over two hours watching a show that felt like some angry, cynical atheist's attempt to "tell the world the TRUTH of living" like he's Tennessee Williams or someone, with a host of actors that are barely given direction, and made me care more about the set design of the production than the characters trying to live on stage... I dunno, it left a sour taste in my mouth. I can respect the time they it DID take to make Messenger - because certain scenes felt decent, and the delivery of everyone but Broderick felt human - but... My god, I did not like that play at all.

And, in completely unrelated news, I've learned that pubs in London are magical places.

In all seriousness though, I think I've enjoyed almost every hour of my time in London. I'm so excited to see what else we have in store for us as far as the plays we'll be seeing, and the different historical monuments in our path. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mitchell,

    Your journey so far in London sounds like one heck of one! I’m very glad you didn't get too lost at the Chicago airport and made it in time for all of our adventures! You are totally right about the airplane food! I was led to believe it was a lot worse than it actually was! (I personally thought it was super good!) and oh boy is jet lag real.... I’m still not used to the time differences!!!! I’m sorry you didn't like the play we saw. I personally didn't think it was the worst play in the world but I also understand where you are coming from. Those seats were diffidently one of the worst parts though! There was NOT enough room between them... my legs definitely kept cramping up and I’m not even that tall! I agree with you about the London Pubs as well they are super fun places to relax and hang out as well as meet other people!

    I think Ive enjoyed every hour of mine in London as well! I’m very excited to see what else is in store for us too! What has been your favorite thing we have done so far? Mine was 100% Harry Potter world!!! Is there anything you are looking forward too in the future of our trip? I’m looking forward to my trip to Paris this weekend!!!

    CHEERS,

    Katelynn

    ReplyDelete