Friday, May 17, 2019

A Day of London's Theater

Hullo, I am Marissa Bober and I am a Sophomore at St. Scholastica. I am studying Biology and minoring in Psychology, while on a Pre-Vet path. I love to hang out with my family and friends and of course my animals. I have two dogs and two puppies plus my eight cats. You are probably thinking why a biology student would go on and take a theater class, well I have to get my general fine arts credit done somehow. It is also a trip to london that I get credits for, however, that is not the only reason for taking this class. I really love going to plays and watching plays. I love actors and how everything comes together.
We started our journey today around 10 am with a tour of Old Vic. Old Vic is were we watch the play, All My Sons, on Wednesday as a Matinee. We got to go behind the scene of the play and see what the actors view. Our tour guide, Ned, has been part of the theater for a long time, he almost died there (attempted murder).
He gave us tons of information including many years about the Old Vic. There are too many names to write down that the theater has been called. He also talked about interesting things like no whistling, no M word, and the sailors.
We had the rest of the day to explore the beautiful city of London until the play, Witness for the Prosecution. It was held in an actually court room and we sat in court seats. The stage was in the middle of the room and the jury were real people who bought tickets.
I was in the front row next to the opposing lawyer. I got spit on many times and whipped by the lawyer’s “robes”. I also met an upcoming star, Daniel Solbe. This was his first stage debut and he rocked it. He said his mom really “sauced”  him for the events in the play. I tried to get an autograph as well but no one had a pen….so I thought a picture may do. Yes, I fanned girled out on this one but who wouldn't it. All the girls were durling. The theater experiences are a thrill especially when the actors look like him.

5 comments:

  1. My favorite part of this day was sitting next to you in the front row of the show! It was such a unique view and was the most engaging show, for me, that we have seen so far. I’m glad you got to take a picture with Daniel 😋

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marissa!

    It’s interesting that in your description of our tour at The Old Vic theatre, you mention the history of theatre superstitions and Ned’s near-death experience, because those were the parts of the tour that stuck out to me as well (along with the brief ghost story and the mention of Charlie Chaplin). It made a lot of sense to learn that the reason why whistling is a superstition is because the “crew” (actual sailors) would whistle to each to move large set pieces in and out, and if an actor did so, they would run the chance of getting hit with one. As for Ned’s story, there was one thing I was confused about: was he the drunken, rowdy audience member or the theatre employee? I wasn’t sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alyssa, I recall Ned being an employee but i don't remember what typw of employee.

      Delete
    2. Ned was the employee. Some type of usher, I believe

      Delete
  3. This show was amazing!! Definitely my favorite one so far! It's too bad you got spit on, but awesome you were able to say hi to Daniel (I'm still kinda jealous you got a photo).

    ReplyDelete