Thursday, May 30, 2019

London (and Tokyo) Arts & Culture



Today was a fairly busy day! To start the morning, our two class groups split up. I am a student in the theatre group so I went with everyone to the National Theatre in London where we were given a backstage tour. We learned that the National Theatre has three auditoriums and we got a look at each one. We kind of went in order from the biggest to the smallest, and each one had something that made it unique and different from other, more traditional theatres in London. We also got to tour the workshop spaces in the building and caught a glimpse of their set building process. My favorite part was looking at the prop building and prop buying rooms. We saw one guy building a fake piano for an upcoming show and I felt like building/buying props would be a cool job to have. 

In the afternoon, everyone met up at the British Museum. The theatre kids didn't have time to eat beforehand, so we ate at a cafe in the museum and then we were on our own to explore. I was excited to look at some of the best artifacts that the museum has. I was able to find some interesting stuff but I found that it was hard to see everything because of how crowded and huge it was. The first thing I saw was the Rosetta Stone and that was pretty cool to see in person. I was mainly interested in their Egypt displays. I find mummies very interesting but also very unsettling, so it was a weird experience. The picture on the left shows some mummified cats. There's also a mummified fish. 

After a few hours, everyone from our group started to head back to the hotel or go off to do other things. I stayed at the museum, however, because I booked myself a ticket to see the museum's newest exhibition about manga. I really like reading manga and watching anime in my free time so I wanted to see what the exhibition was all about and what kind of stuff they would be displaying. I spent about an hour inside and it was super cool! I really liked the big art on the walls and I liked learning about how manga started and what it means to Japanese culture. There were so many different displays. It started with the beginning of manga and ended with modern manga. One of the coolest things was looking at how manga is made and getting to read about the lives of different artists and wh Since it's an exhibition it won't be there for very long, so I'm glad I got to see it!




2 comments:

  1. Hey Cassidy!
    This was so cool to see what the theatre students did! I too would have been very interested to bee the man who was building the piano and I agree that it would be cool to build props and see them in use. I was also interested in seeing the manga exhibition and I will definitely ask you how it was! My favorite part of the British Museum was in the Africa floor where they had their artwork and create ways to build various sculptures. Did you visit that floor?
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cassidy! Your tour sounds amazing! We haven't split up into our classes much so it was nice to see how your guys' morning went while we were at the Dickens museum. I caught up with you for a bit at the British museum. Around the Egyptian displays.The mummified cats were something to see, weren't they? I had been to the museum twice before this day and I still found new things to look at! My favorite area in the museum was the Parthenon. I'm so glad you enjoyed the Manga exibition. What was something new you learned in the exibition?
    Kendra

    ReplyDelete