Monday, May 20, 2019

First Day Trip Out of London!


Hi all!

My name is Katie Peterson and I am a senior communication major and political science minor at CSS. I’m from Duluth and I work on campus as a student worker in the Admissions office. While I’ve traveled outside of the U.S. before, this is my first time traveling overseas to Europe!

After enjoying our free weekend around the city, today we had to get up a bit earlier than usual in order to leave the hotel by 8am! I grabbed some breakfast and then we boarded the coach bus for a 2 hour ride out of London to Stratford-upon-Avon, during which, I will admit, most of us slept. However, upon arrival, we saw the sun was shining! We took a hop-on/hop-off bus tour around the town that provided history lessons about William Shakespeare’s life and the importance of the buildings we were seeing via headphones and pre-recorded audio. Our timing on catching the buses was always a bit off so we either had to wait or get a sprint in to catch one! We first got off the bus at Shakespeare’s birthplace. There were some restaurants and shops nearby and most of us got something to eat at “The Food of Love.” I got a Nutella crepe and lemonade, two of my favorite things! There was a bit of a delay in getting all of our food, so the group had to split up to make it to the next place—some took the bus and some walked. We visited Holy Trinity Church, which is where Shakespeare was baptized and is buried. Lastly, we went to Anne Hathaway’s (Shakespeare’s wife) cottage and gardens where we were able to explore and enjoy the nice weather. We toured inside where there were displays of the kitchen and bedrooms to show what life might’ve been like! Outside, there were sections of flowers and greenery that was really calm and peaceful. We had time to explore and just take in the nature. Then, we boarded the coach to return to London! A group of us ended up walking to a nearby pub where I was able to have some mac n cheese (something different from of all the sandwiches I’ve been having lately). What a fun day! I’m so excited for the rest of our time here.

Anne Hathaway’s cottage

“The Food of Love”

Holy Trinity Church


1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie!
    This day was pretty good for me as well! One funny thing that happened to us was the bus tours. We were unaware that the buses were running early so when we were walking back from Shakespeare's gravesite one moment we were walking casually back to the stop and the next we were all running to catch up to the bus as it was going to the stop we had to get out on. Just a memorable moment where the buses kept us on our toes!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete