Friday, May 31, 2019

Tea with Cream and Salt

Hello it’s Maethe again!

Today was another busy day in London. We started it off by going to a stage combat workshop. I wasn’t really sure what to expect from this as I do not have much experience in theater. It was surprisingly fun, especially the ways we learned to play with depth and distance. I had no idea before the workshop that the actors may not even be near each other during part of a fight scene. After the workshop we had some free time, then we got a little dressed up and went to an afternoon tea. This was definitely a highlight of the day. I expected a few sandwiches and scones with tea, but it was so much more! It was three courses of food and multiple pages of tea choices. We started with five different types of finger sandwiches, and tea of course! Next, we had mini bacon and brie quiches with small mozzarella balls. After that was dessert! There were four different types of small pastries, scones with clotted cream and jam, and chocolate cake. The chocolate cake we were able to take with us, which good because at that point I don’t think any of us could eat anymore! All of the food was delicious, and it was such a fun experience.

We ended the day by seeing Salt at the Royal Court. Salt is a one woman show written by Selina Thompson. It tells the story of her journey to retrace the Transatlantic Slave Triangle, taking a cargo ship from the UK to Ghana, then to Jamaica and back to the UK. It was quite a deep and emotional story, especially as it was in quite a small, intimate theatre.

Overall, it was another great day in London full of new experiences. We have less than one week left in this amazing city and I’m excited for our last few adventures!




2 comments:

  1. Hi Maethe!

    The afternoon tea was definitely my favorite part of the day as well. And even though I had heard that it would be filling and we wouldn’t need dinner, I was still surprised with just how quickly I got full. I could hardly eat half of my food! Even if we hadn’t accidentally gotten the extra course from the High Tea, I still wouldn’t have been able to eat it all. I’m curious, what was your favorite thing that you tried? Also, what kind of tea/s did you order?

    I hope you get a chance to go to another sometime!

    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  2. salt. was definitely different from what I expected. I've tried to explain it to people back in the States, and the only way I could was to call it a "documentary in play form". It made its point and it did it well, and the actress narrating in Selina's place made me forget we were just watching a performance.

    ReplyDelete