Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Discovering the past on a beautiful Wednesday

It was the second Wednesday of the trip and I have finally settled in to London life! We started off the day by taking the bus to the Imperial War Museum. I found this to be really fascinating as it was from a completely different perspective than in the United States. Because some of the battles were on home soil, it hit the people of London and Great Britain differently. Because of this, looking through the exhibits was very thought provoking for me. One point I noticed that was interesting was how they thought that if the United States joined their side, they were almost guaranteed to win. This was a different perspective for me as I did not realize how much other countries notice what is happening in the United States and how it affects their everyday lives, whereas we think nothing of it.


After this we went to the Roman Amphitheatre, where they had mocked what it would have looked like in approximately 40 A.D. along with the ruins was very cool to see and I felt as if I had stepped back into time. After this we had some free time before the show and a couple friends and I decided to head to St. Paul’s Cathedral for some pictures. One interesting thing we found and was included in the picture is the asymmetric towers. This was a funny reminder of St. Scholastica, as the towers there are asymmetric as well.We decided not to go in because it was towards the end of their hours and it would have been pretty expensive, so we went shopping at the Covent Gardens. The Covent Gardens were very pretty and we were able to find some clothing shops, Shake Shack, and a lot of pigeons. A funny story that had happened while we were there was in a shop I thought a man had asked if I was Russian, in which I replied “No, I am from the United States” but in reality he instead had asked if I had a question, and I had totally misunderstood him! Afterwards we attended the show The Starry Messenger, in which I was not a fan of, but others enjoyed the stars of the show. Off to Harry Potter World tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the Imperial War Museum as well. Something I found interesting was a small display of a letter and a red sign that said hone empty meaning they had someone at war. The letter was hate mail towards one man who didn't go to war because he was a pacifist. The whole museum gave me chills. I'm glad you had a fun rest of the day!
    -Kendra

    ReplyDelete