Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Museum, Amphitheatere, Play, OH MY!

Hello all it’s Katelynn! I am having an absolutely fantastic time out here in London! We are seeing many things each day and I am learning a whole bunch of fun stuff and seeing some absolutely beautiful sights. I’m doing things I have always dreamed of doing!! It’s honestly a dream come true! Today though, we did three things! We went to the Imperial War Museum (on the way to this we stopped in a park where there was a memorial to Virginia Woolf (an author we read a novel from this past semester)), the Roman Amphitheatere, and a play called The Starry Messenger at the Wyndhams Theatre!

Starting off with the Imperial War museum there was so much to see I can’t even talk about all of it. This museum is definitely a must see if you come to London. There’s unique prospective that you cannot see anywhere else of many different things. Make sure to set aside the time for it though because this museum is 5 floors! 0 floor is an exhibit about world war 1, it has many real life stories, uniforms, artifacts, and more. The 1st floor is the Second World War 1934-1945. The 2nd floor is called peace and security and it is dates 1945-2014. The 3rd floor is titled curiosities of war and has an exhibit called culture under attack which is dated 5 July 2019-5 January 2020! The 4th floor was about the holocaust. Of all these floors my personal favorites were the world war 2 exhibit and the Holocaust exhibit. I think this was majorly because I’ve herd a lot of these two events in my life and have a personal connection to them because my great grandpa fought in WWII. I have been to other exhibits about these events in Washington DC, but it was cool being able to see how each museum takes on the events. Comparing and contrasting these was really cool.

 

The Roman Amphitheatere was really cool it was a site of remains from a Amphitheatere that the romans used. You can see from the pictures of what remained and what it used to look like. This exhibit opened to the public in 2002 and was believe to have been created around 43 AD. I thought this was really cool because it’s not often things like this are found let alone open for viewing. Above the ruins of the Roman Amphitheatere there are two levels of beautiful paintings both old and new.



After this I got to take a little trip to the borough market. It was a cute little market full of fresh vegetables and fruit of all kinds, backed goods like bread, cupcakes, pastry’s, even cheese! It also had fresh fish and some other food venders. It was a really cute place for all of your fresh food needs and I got some fresh honey .It was really cool seeing the cultures blend together through food. I’m sure you can find almost anything at this market.






The play we saw called The Starry Messenger at the Wyndhams Theatre was amazing. The actors did a fantastic job at putting on this show and I highly recommend it.

Thanks for listening about my day!

Cheers,

Katelynn

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katelynn,
    I totally agree with you about the Imperial War Museum. There was so much there. It helped that i had a great history teacher that had covered World War 1 and Holocaust really well. I did not like the Starry Messenger wasn't the best. The main character forgot his lines and messed up. It was still a good experience to see everyone messes up. I'm glad you are enjoying London. I am too!

    ReplyDelete