Monday, May 27, 2019

From London to Scotland, and Back Again!

For the past two days, I've been journeying around Edinburgh with Kendra, Dawson and Tasha, and I think it's made my appreciation of (currently) European culture that much stronger. If I'm honest, it's left me with a heavier heart that I won't be able to come back to Scotland; it feels a little stronger than what I'm afraid will happen once I have to leave London. That's nothing against London itself, but... I don't know, there's just something about Edinburgh.

This was one of the many views I could find in Edinburgh, just above the outer wall to the castle that stands at the city peak. It's cheesy to say, but it was like I could feel the soul of the city from up there, even with how many tourists and pedestrians are out and about. The castle especially, there were SO MANY Americans around. If anything, I think the Scottish were a minority in their own castle, which is a strange thing to think about. I suppose it's common around such large, imposing places. 

The castle blended aspects of itself like that often. The structure here is Edinburgh's War Memorial, with a short plot of flowers and shrubbery surrounding it. Within, it commemorates fallen soldiers of Edinburgh, distant and recent, and... I don't know how to quite describe it, but it's a feeling I've felt in the War Memorial museum in London too. There's a kind of respect given to those that fall in battle - or, worse, that are dragged into it without their consent - that I don't think we replicate in the States. Maybe it's because we have a shorter history as a secure nation than they've had, but it gives me a better understanding of how nation's look at patriotism (at least, in a way that isn't "God Bless 'murica").

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mitchell!
    I'm happy that you had a similar feeling like I did when we visited the Imperial War Museum. It was a fresh perspective on the wars that we do not see in the United States. I believe the feeling is different because the United States always are the ones who make the difference, and seeing it from another perspective made the wars feel much more real to me. I have never been to Edinburgh but it looks like it holds a lot of history that is unseen by many Americans. I will have to ask you about it this coming week and what else you saw. Thanks for posting this!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great weekend! I stayed in London, but if we had more time I think I would try to go to Scotland.

    ReplyDelete