Friday, May 24, 2019

Chillin with the Swans

On Wednesday (May 22)  we were back to a normal touring day in London! I enjoyed the coach tours but I was definitely glad I didn’t have to wake up and sit on another one for 4 hours of the day.

In the morning we went to the Imperial War Museum. I thought it was interesting to learn about Britain’s perspective during WWI and the Holocaust. I spent a lot more time in the Holocaust exhibit reading about everything and taking it all in. By the end of it I was feeling a little sick from some things I was seeing — it’s always hard to read about but I’m glad people are given the opportunity to learn about what happened.


We had lunch at the museum, which was probably some of the best food so far (but also it was more expensive). Then we had some free time afterwards. I went to Hyde Park with Dawson and Mitchell and we explored some of it, mostly around The Serpentine which is the little lake in the park where you can see swans and rent boats. I say little only because I can compare it to Lake Superior. It was nice to just take a breather, eat some ice cream, enjoy the fresh air, and watch some birds.


In the evening we saw a show called The Starry Messenger starring Matthew Broderick and Elizabeth McGovern. I think it was cool to see Matthew Broderick on stage instead of on screen, but the performance didn’t quite hit the mark for me. I still enjoyed being able to visit the stage door afterwards and Matthew was gracious enough to take pictures with some of us. All in all it was a good day! I liked that everything was spread out and I was able to find some downtime. 




3 comments:

  1. Hello Cassidy!

    I went to Hyde Park this week for the first time as well! Being from Minnesota, it definitely is nice to take a break from the city life and enjoy some nature for awhile. I know that when you look at a map of London, Hyde Park looks pretty big, but in person I was still surprised with how massive it was. I had also visited the lake, except I tried to stay pretty clear of the swans. I once got hissed at by a swan, so they’re not my most favorite of God’s creatures. That being said, I still admired their beauty.

    I have to agree with you about the show. It was really cool to see some famous faces on stage, but it definitely wasn’t the most compelling story or performance we’ve seen on this trip. That’s very cool that you got to meet Matthew Broderick though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Our day spent at the Imperial War Museum was super fascinating & informative! I was fortunate enough to take the WW1 history class with Tony Barrett my sophomore year, so seeing the WW1 Exhibit was amazing. I saw artifacts I remembered learning about in class, many of which I’d actually written about for various assignments. I felt the experience was made even better because of this previous knowledge I have of the war.

    I also visited Hyde Park the other day & saw the swans! They were beautiful, but I definitely didn’t get too close, haha! Thanks for sharing about your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cassidy,
    It was awesome hanging out with you and Mitchell at Hyde Park. I really enjoyed being able to just sit down after the Imperial War Museum and collect myself for the rest of the day. Walking through the park felt as close to something that I would do at home, while still in London.
    It gets really busy being in London and going to the park has been my favorite way to slow down.

    ReplyDelete