Thursday, May 23, 2019

Salisbury Cathedral


This week we visited Salisbury Cathedral where we saw one of the four remaining original copies of the Magna Carta. The Magna Carta stated that no king should act above law. It brought judgement by one's peer, citizen vs state, and safeguarding justice. I was told by one of the guides that a copy of the Magna Carta had made it to the US during one of the wars. This document can also be interpreted as the origins of parliament in England. It was established part of the English law by 1297. The cathedral is very beautiful and well taken care of. Although, we did not have a tour a lady was nice enough to give us a crash course on the cathedral. In addition, while there we were able to see how the bells ring 3 times a week. The bells are only run Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday around noon.

It was a very beautiful building with many historic pieces. One of my favorite was having an Oregon to play. I am no Oregon player but I discovered one of my friends, Kendra is! At first I started playing random keys and I thought it was pretty cool and loud. Kendra then began playing and I was blown away (we had her play 3 more times). I have enjoyed visiting historic places and their significance and how well preserved they’re kept. The opportunity to explore the U.K has been an amazing experience along with the people on this trip.




2 comments:

  1. Hello Chanty,

    I love your writing on this cathedral. Wasn’t the Magna Carta wonderful? I think that the history behind it is absolutely amazing and believe that it is super cool knowing that it is one of very few copies of it. Did you see the broken glass that they kept on display from someone that tried breaking into it within the past year? I can’t imagine how much of a travesty it would’ve been if this document got damaged!

    The clock work was really cool too It’s not often one gets to say they saw the oldest clock in operation! Isn’t it insane how many parts there were to a clock back in this time compared to clocks now a days? (Wristwatches, wall clocks, etc) I believe its crazy how much technology has evolved.

    I think the restorations on both of these historical objects really showed on the church as well and I agree that it was well taken care of indeed. You could tell that everyone at this cathedral loved what they did and cared about the preservation of everything. I don’t know about you but I love seeing people whom are booming to share the historical significance of things to others so stories can be passed on for years to come!

    Lastly Kendra playing the organ simulation was beautiful!!! I 100% agree! I’m really hopping that the church gets everything they need to restore it so it isn’t a piece of history within the church that cannot be used. I think that would be very sad.

    Cheers,

    Katelynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Chanty!
    I am jealous that you got to listen to Kendra play the organ. My hometown church has a huge organ and I think it is really wonderful to listen to.

    One thing I didn’t really appreciate was how much people might dislike the Magna Carta. I was shocked when I realized that somebody has attempted to destroy it just last year! Isn’t it weird to think about how some individuals think so radically?

    Finally, I find it really interesting how many gravestones are part of the floors in many of the churches we’ve visited. I was always told not to walk over graves as a child so it still feels a little bit weird to me today! Hope you had a lovely weekend.

    Syd

    ReplyDelete