Monday, May 20, 2019

A Shakespearean Dream

Hello everyone! My name is Rachael, and I am a senior biology major with Physician Assistant intended. I was born and raised in Duluth and continue to study there. Studying abroad has always been a college dream of mine. The London study abroad gives me a chance to study theater and literature: two arts I have always loved but do not get to study extensively in my science schema.

Today, we awoke early after a free weekend of travel. We loaded the coach headed towards Stratford-Upon-Avon. The city is a Shakespearian dream. From the top deck of the tour bus, we peered into the expansive fields and winding roads, envisioning the way of life in Shakespeare's time as the audio supplied interesting facts. We were brought to Holy Trinity Church, the home of both the baptism and burial of Shakespeare. As we walked through the church, we were surrounded by beautiful stained glass and architecture. We reached Shakespeare's gravesite and his baptismal font resided close by marking both the beginning and the end of his life. They had supporting original written documents on display dating these events.

We also toured the home of Shakespeare's wife, Anne Hathaway. The original artifacts made it possible to envision what life would be like along with even being able to smell spices and smoke. We ducked under the low ceilings and stepped upon thinning, creaking floors. It truly felt as if we stepped back into time. I thought it was interesting to hear how P.T. Barnum wanted to buy the home, take it apart, and ship it back to the US to rebuild the attraction. However, after spending time in this city, I appreciate the fact that it resides in its original spot. I was impressed by the beauty of the gardens that surrounded the 500 year old home. After touring the home, a few of us followed the trail through the woods behind the cottage. This natural getaway gave us a feeling of home as we were away from the big city of London.






2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachael! These photos are beautiful. I also really enjoyed the bus tour. Not only were the facts super interesting, the music that played in the in-between parts of the tour provided an almost mystical feeling that really brought us back in time. I agree the nature of the town we visited today was a lovely break from the rush of the city. Have you read a lot of Shakespeare? I personally have only read Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet. I think now after visiting here I would like to read them again, I think I would be able to appreciate them more.

    It looks like you are having a fantastic trip I can't wait to see more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the awesome post Rachael. Stratford-upon-Avon was one of my favorite parts of the trip so-far. The slowed down pace of the city made it feel like we had a nice break from bustling London. I think my favorite part of the visit was when we would walk through the trails behind Anne Hathaway's cottage. It felt as if you were getting lost in the dense woods while walking the trails and it helped me to refocus and re-energize for the expeditions to come.

    ReplyDelete