Saturday, May 16, 2015

A Beautiful Day in Dublin


Hello everyone! My name is Hannah Vickstrom, and I just finished my first year at St. Scholastica as a nursing student. I had Professor Johnson first semester and she convinced me to pursue my love for literature so I picked up an English minor to accompany my nursing major. This trip is an exciting adventure which helps fulfill the minor requirements. 
We have had a very busy first week in London. My favorite moments so far have been the Tower of London and the hilarious play, "39 Steps." Rachael Conboy, Kenzie Boysen, and I decided to venture out to Dublin, Ireland for the weekend since we had no scheduled activities. We arrived Friday afternoon and have an an eventful time since. We went to a few pubs and night clubs last night, and we only lost the keys to our bed and breakfast once. Today we had a walking tour of Dublin by a very entertaining tour guide named Brian. He showed us all of the historical sites of Dublin, such as an eight hundred year old tower at Dublin Castle with walls as thick as a car, which contributed to the longevity of the building. The tower was famous for people who acted as "shit stirrers" who used the chemicals released during agitating the waste to rid soldiers' clothes of lice. Brian spoke quite a bit about the Irish revolution and eventual freedom and the Celtic heritage of Ireland. We visited other sites such as the parliament building, Trinity College, and the Temple Bar area. 
After the tour, we walked to Boxty's Pub and had a very fishy tasting chowder, soda bread, and salad. After this we walked through various shops, my favorite being The Sweater Shop. Kenzie and I got a wee bit lost
after Rachael went back to the bed and breakfast and spent two hours walking through Dublin and found ourselves in a slightly rundown area. On our way back to the main roads, we found a beautiful park filled with lush green plants and beautiful flowers. So even though we're exhausted now at the bed and breakfast, we had a wonderful day exploring the beautiful city of Dublin. 




1 comment:

  1. Hi Hannah, it sounds like you had a fantastic time this weekend! I don't know very much about Celtic heritage or culture, so its super cool that someone knew so much to be able to tell you. I love thise first two pictures too! Dublin is definitely on my list of places to visit!

    ReplyDelete