Wednesday, May 13, 2015

First Days

Hi! My name is Emily. I just finished my junior year. I'm a biology major on the premed track. This is my first time in London and only my second time out of the states.
The first few days have been amazing! London is just beyond words. It's so beautiful! I love how old everything is and how new things are mixed right in. There is so much history to this city, and we've already learned so much about it. The pubs are all so amazing. The food is phenomenal and so is the shopping. Everyone dresses so trendy here and they all look like models!
Today was a full day. We started out with a Shakespeare tour with a fantastic guide named Declan. He was great and full of information. Next we had a tour of the Tower of London. This is something that I could spend a whole day at. There was so much! We got to see the Crown Jewels and I feel like that is going to be a highlight of the whole trip. We learned about the history of the jail and the executions and things about the British army. I would love to do it again but with a tour guide so they make sure that I see everything. Tonight we decided to go on a super cool tour with Declan again called "Bloody London". It was a tour of the city highlighting a bunch of serial killers from London's past. My favorite ones were Jack the Ripper and Sweeney Todd. 
Today was overall a great experience and tons of walking! Can't wait for more!

5 comments:

  1. I still can't get over the amount of old and new mixed together in this city. One minute we are next to a wall built 600 years ago, the next a towering skyscraper built two years ago. Also to be standing in places full of such history is overwhelming. I also agree with you about the crowned jewels. Truly amazing to see them in person and to understand the history behind them. It's unfortunate so much has been lost or destroyed over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The city is absolutely beautiful, as you said. There's so much to see and it's funny that everyday we walk out see something completely new. I do agree that a tour guide at ther Tower would have been amazing, but it was nice to go at our own pace. I would absolutely do this again just to hear more of the history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really surprised to learn that the crowned jewels have been lost and destroyed over the years. I also didn't know that each king or queen has jewels commissioned for them. I assumed that there was one precious crown passed down throughout the years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Crown Jewels were incredible! I've never been in one room where there was something worth so much in my life. It's amazing how large the diamonds, rubies, and whatnot were. The Tower of London was not at all what I expected. The torture chamber was creepy, and it's weird to think that so many people died in that one place. It was fascinating though all the different kinds of armor the knights and Kings had, and how they even suited up their horses. I also went on the bloody London tour! It was interesting to be in the alleyways and the like where crimes were actually committed. I had no idea that Sweeney Todd was a real man and a real event. We walked past the pie shop where his girlfriend sold the meat pies for 16 years... Very creepy to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely love how the old is mixed in with the new. It gives the city such a unique atmosphere. I'm so jealous that you got to go on the second tour! That would've been amazing, but also probably would've given me nightmares. I also think the crown jewels will be hard to beat, but I look forward to seeing if something will in the upcoming weeks!

    ReplyDelete