Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Merchant of Venice

Today was a really busy day! We were going straight from 10 am all the way until 11 pm. We started the day by going to the British Library where we had a tour of the facility. It was great to see all of the work that was put into the library and it was such a wonderful place to see a temple to books. They spent a lot of money creating such an awesome place. The best part of the library was the treasure room where they had a variety of different books and maniscripts. My favorite things there were the Gutenberg bible, and Leonardo DaVinci's  journal. My favorite part was handwritten lyrics from the Beatles along with the original recordings of the Beatles. We then went to the British Museum, where we explored for a few hours. We saw the Rosetta Stone along with a lot of different artifacts from all around the world. It got to be a really long day by the end and it was really busy at the museum. I think I am going to try and go back to both places and fully explore both places again.  Then this evening we went to The Merchant of Venice at the Globe Theatre. We were standing for the entire show which I was worried about but it ended up being awesome. It was really a great experience and I'm glad that it didn't end up rainy. It only rained a little bit and it did not ruin the experience. The actors were all awesome and Shylock was my favorite character.  He was played by the same actor that played Governor Swann in Pirates of the Caribbean.  It was a great experience to see a play written by Shakespeare in the space that the play was written for.

4 comments:

  1. Yesterday was such a busy day! I'm so jealous that you were able to see the Rosetta Stone, we looked for ages to try and find it, where was it? I really loved seeing Cleopatra since she was such an iconic woman. The room filled with watches was also neat, but they had a cheap Sony alarm clock from 2008 in there on display to show modern clocks which I found a little humorous. I couldn't believe the actor for Shylock was in Pirates of the Caribbean, it just seems so surreal to see these famous people and places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, the Rosetta Stone is about halfway through Room 4 which is right next to the gift shop area. I was really impressed with the British Library. I thought it was cool to learn a bit about the architecture of the building on our tour. The architect was in the Navy and never made captain, so he made the building look like a ship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was truly a long day with all the activities we participated in. The Libary's treasure was super interesting. My favorites were Michael Angelo's sketches of the anatomy of the leg as well as his letter to the pope. I also found the bible had being one of the first copies of the old testemant to be truly amazing. The Merchant of Venice was a great play. It was rough having to stand to watch the play after being on our feet all day but the experience of watching play from in the pits was worth it. The interaction between the audience and actors was interesting and fun with no fourth wall being there. It was a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is also a very good post which I really enjoyed reading. It is not every day that I have the possibility to see something like this.. paypal konto einlesen

    ReplyDelete