Thursday, May 14, 2015

Shakespear, Soggy, and Steps

Hello!
My name is Becca and I'm part of the CSS group in London. I'm majoring in Social Studies Education and I just finished my junior year of college. I have never been out of the country before, so I'm especially excited to be a part of this experience.

In Roni's words, 'what a day to be alive.'  Today was the first day that it was raining, cold, and blustery all day. It wasn't too bad though, since I was prepared with a raincoat and warm scarf. The first thing we did was travel over to Shakespear's Globe theatre.  There, we were met by a tour guide who took us into the Globe and showed us the stage. I learned that the theatre can hold 1600 people, with 700 in the standing room only area on the floor! Although I didn't get too much of a look at it, the floor space seemed pretty small. It'll be intetesting to find out how everyone fits when we see a show there in the next couple weeks.

Once we were through with the Globe, we were led to a rehearsal room, where we had a workshop. I was a little hesitant to go to this because I am not a fan of doing improv, and theatre workshops usually contain at least a little. Thankfully, however, the workshop leader only had us play some games.
After the workshop was finished, we went back and walked through the exhibition of the Globe, which included details about the original and the new one, which was built in the 90s. I wasn't terribly intrigued by this, as the group had recieved most of the (interesting) information the previous day on the Shakespear walking tour. The part I found most interesting was the replica of the Queen's costume.
After we finished with the exhibition, we were free to go, so 8 of us headed over to the BlackFriar's for lunch. Black Friar's is a lovely little pub the the guide from the Shakespear walk recommended yesterday. We finished up the afternoon shopping on Oxford street.


Tonight we saw the show 39 Steps. I wasn't too sure what to expect with this show, because I couldn't find too much information on it, but it was hilarious. This is a very witty show and highly recommend it. 


I hope tomorrow won't be too soggy! 

Thanks for reading!
-Becca

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you said about the workshop! I was nervous going in because I thought we might be expected to act in front of everyone and I did not want to do that. What we ended up doing I thought was pretty fun and I liked the background he gave us about the Merchant Of Venice. I've already read that play so it was nice to have refresher about the characters and plot. I've noticed too that a lot of the information we're being given is repetitive and we've heard it throughout multiple tours. Hopefully that means we can remember it when we head home!

    ReplyDelete