Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Second Day London Adventures

Hi everyone! I'm Kenzie Boysen, and I just finished my freshman year at the College of St. Scholastica planning on majoring in Nursing and minoring in Psychology and Biology. I enjoy hiking, exploring, music, playing piano, corgi's, and anything related to beaches. Currently I work as a CNA at my hometown nursing home, and really love the elderly. Now, on to the London stuff...

Today our group got up and took a bus tour around London. We were able to see Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, St. James Park, and also explore various places on our own. Rachael C., Hannah V., Matt R.,  and I all decided to walk to the National Gallery and view the portraits there. In front of the National Gallery was amazing! There were four huge lion statues, and people street acting in costumes such as Yoda, a tin man, and a Grim Reaper. A large majority of the paintings consisted of things that had biblical references. On the bus tour we also saw St. Paul's Cathedral, and on the steps there Mary Poppins was filmed (the scene where she feeds the birds.) I thought that was very interesting. Hannah, Rachael, and I all got really good coffee, and I ordered a mixed berry tart that was very delicious. Matt and I found a neat crypt that also had a little cafe in it. Looking at all the headstones that were in the walls was fascinating. A lot seemed to be placed during the 1700's, and I overheard a lady say, "that's not old at all," and I thought it was funny because it seems old to me, but old to everyone around here is pre-1400's! Afterwards we learned the ways of the tube, or as our guide pronounced it so we could have a British accent, "chewbe." It was not even remotely as difficult as I thought it would be, which was a pleasant surprise. There is a lot of advertisements on the walls down in the tube, and the escalators are very steep so when in there you're a lot farther underground than one may think. Tonight the group also went to see Les Mis, and the music and acting was superb. The theatre was grand and also a rather steep incline towards the stage. Overall, it was an exciting and perfect second day.

Here's some pictures from the day!

 St. Paul's Cathedral

 Statue that signifies whether you are leaving London City or entering it

Paul's Cafe

3 comments:


  1. Hello Kenzie! I'm also a nursing major. I think very cool that you're having two minors, that's definitely not an easy task with a nursing major. I read that you like corgis, did you know that Queen Elizabeth also loves corgis and has several? The drinks and snacks from Paul's cafe were amazing! I still sometimes forget to convert British pounds to American dollars so it seems like everything is so inexpensive here. I hope we have a great trip to Ireland tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was equally as fascinated with some of the works of the National Gallery! The building was magnificent and the square was huge! The tube was scary at first but with you guys by my side it was not as scary as I thought it was going to be! I like the thrill of stepping into something that moves so fast is really amazing! It is fun experiencing something so amazing with good friends!! Cheers to more adventures and more tube rides with you and Hannah!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the bus tour was so helpful because a lot of what she told us came up the next day or in other tours. I loved her humor and it was clear she was trying give us a good tour and make sure we had a good time.

    ReplyDelete