Wednesday, May 20, 2015

War, Accents, Quoi? London Day 10

Breakfast. Sandwiches. Spilling tea on white shirts. Eating yogurt. There seems to be a habit forming.

This morning we journeyed off to the Museum of London. We show up at 9:50 and discover that it doesn't open until 10 o'clock. No problem, we just chill on the foyer for ten minutes discussing The Merchant of Venice.

The museum is pretty cool, lots of old pots and some spearheads and stuff. Some dinosaur bones. A helmet or two. Then we reach the Roman stuff. There's a model of city. And tons of coins. Now this stuff is getting interesting.

image

There's a bunch of cool maps, some rifles, and other stuff. Like a neat chest! There's even a Victorian-style city block to walk through.

The World War exhibits. Now these are really something. The whole museum should be about this. Its interesting to see how differently the war went from the British perspective.

image

There was also an exhibit for the 2012 Olympics in London and a replica of the queen's carriage.

image

After the museum, Thomas and I hustled back to the hostel to change for high tea.

The tea was excellent. The sandwiches were pretty great. Most of the desserts were crazy good—the jam was great, the scones not so much. (Don't tell any Brits I said that.) And there was way too much food. I must be getting used to European portions.

image

This evening was pretty laid-back. I did some souvenir shopping and accompanied a few others who did laundry. I even stayed at the hostel and got a panini. Then I had a super-cool, awesome experience.

The girl sitting next to me was talking to the person working at the cafe (Would he be called a barrister?), and I asked if she was from France. Note that everyone involved is talking in English the whole time. She didn't understand what I asked her, so she asked me to repeat it. I oblige. She still doesn't understand, and turns to the Australian barrister and asks him to “translate” what it was that I said. He repeats what I asked, and she then answers me. I don't remember what she said exactly--something along the lines of talking about her accent. But what was important was that I was finally on the opposite side of the “hard to understand accent.” Now I'm the one with the thick American-midwest accent that they have a hard time understanding.

That was pretty cool.

Matthew is a senior studying Computer Science at the College of Saint Scholastica. Not content with only working with computers, Matthew also performs in the CSS Theater, studies business, finance, economics, the physical sciences, and loves to go ballroom dancing. He is a voracious reader. His hobby is to learn about as many different fields, and about as many different topics, as he can. Matthew also enjoys writing about himself in the third person. For more from Matthew, visit him at matthewrandolph.com.

3 comments:

  1. As an amateur historian (self proclaimed) and lover of ancient warfare I really enjoyed the museum immensely. There were genuine beautiful pieces of armor and weapons ranging from the Britons, to the Vikings, to the Knights. My goodness the car artistry and brutality each sword had and it's intact nature was fascinating. Furthermore, the room with the Olympic cauldron comprising of long, brass has lamps was not only see inspiring, but also humbling. To know the world came together over the work of art makes me proud to be a human.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an amateur historian (self proclaimed) and lover of ancient warfare, I really enjoyed the museum. Specifically, there was authentic armor and weapons ranging from the Britons, to the Vikings, to the Knights. Seeing all the swords, their artistry and brutality was phenomenal. Every scratch, dent, and mark tells a unique story! Furthermore, I really enjoyed the room with the Olympic cauldron. In addition to the piece being awe inspiring, I was humbled by the fact that each country was a part of the work of art comprising of brass, had lamps. I felt really apart of humanity knowing the work of art brought together the whole world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an amateur historian (self proclaimed) and lover of ancient warfare, I really enjoyed the museum. Specifically, there was authentic armor and weapons ranging from the Britons, to the Vikings, to the Knights. Seeing all the swords, their artistry and brutality was phenomenal. Every scratch, dent, and mark tells a unique story! Furthermore, I really enjoyed the room with the Olympic cauldron. In addition to the piece being awe inspiring, I was humbled by the fact that each country was a part of the work of art comprising of brass, had lamps. I felt really apart of humanity knowing the work of art brought together the whole world.

    ReplyDelete