Monday, May 25, 2015

Stonehenge

The morning started off early as we left the hostel for Stonehenge at 7:30. We had bagged breakfasts with potato chips, a kitkat, orange juice that I gave to Jamie, and a ham sandwich and cheese sandwich which I converted to a cheese sandwich. We had a two hour bus ride to Stonehenge. The scenery was beautiful and reminded me of a hillier southeastern MN. I think we were all a little confused when we saw Stonehenge out the window as we drove past it.

When we finally stopped we took a little shuttle from the visitor center to the actual structure of Stonehenge. Surrounding Stonehenge were sheep happily grazing and birds that seemed suspended in air because for some reason no matter how hard they flapped their wings they were stationary, floating in the air.  Stonehenge was really cool to see because it's one of those things everybody knows about but nobody really knows why it's there. We had an audio guide for the tour and we got to listen to explanations about theories and what they've found there. My favorite part was the body they had found surrounded by arrowheads and the skeleton even had arrowheads imbedded in the bones, suggesting the person was either a sacrifice or a wounded warrior. When our time at Stonehenge ended we hopped back on the bus and headed to Bath.



When we got to Bath we had a walking tour around the city where we learned about the architecture and some of the history of the city. We saw the Bath Abbey and Assembly Rooms.  After the walking tour I did some final souvenir shopping for my family and even got myself something. We'll be ending the night with dinner as a group and I'll probably head to bed right after to recoup from today and prepare for tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment