Saturday, May 16, 2015

Spain

My name is Meghan and I'm an English education major with a double minor in political science and peace and justice studies. This London trip is the first time I've travelled without my parents which is a little terrifying. For my first weekend here I decided to go to Spain with Jamie.

The plane tickets were super cheap as was the hotel so we figured, hey why not.  I didn't really know what to expect in Santander other than I wouldn't know the language as I've never taken a Spanish class. When we got here yesterday it rained all day so we kept our exploring to a minimum. Unfortunately, today started out with me getting sick and worrying about how I'll be able to enjoy my only full day in Spain if I'm stuck in the hotel room. Fortunately a little fresh hair and an apple from a little fruit shop did the trick and I was able to rally and continue on.

The first thing we did after I pulled myself out of bed was explore the beaches and look for a palace. Neither of us had any idea what might be in Santander and we were pleasantly surprised by the beautiful beaches we found along with some cliffs.
As we continued on our little trail we found the palace that was built on a peninsula. Unfortunately we didn't know tickets had to be purchased in advance because all the signs were in Spanish so we only got to see the outside. 
Thankfully for the day the weather has been very nice and no rain has fallen, and we even got a little sunburned.

Overall the weekend has been really fun and interesting although it has been very difficult communicating. Many of the people here seem very willing to try to speak any English they might know to help us understand which was something I wasn't expecting because the U.S. seems to have a different attitude about such things.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Meghan, it looks so amazing there! Your pictures are so wonderful and it sounds like you both are having fun over in Spain. I still jealous that you went there. You must share your favorite parts when we return to London!
    Stay safe and come back in one peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you guys had a good weekend despite some setbacks! The coast looks amazing, as does the palace. It's too bad you guys weren't able to go inside though, I bet it would have been absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete