Thursday, May 28, 2015

"James, Where's Your Peach?" - The Play That Goes Wrong

Today was truly an interesting and entertaining day! It started of very calm. It's one of the few days we didn't have to be up by eight and I got to sleep until 9am!! Usually I sleep until 12 so this is quite a big deal for me! Anyways Sophia and I were supposed to go to the National Gallery to finish an assignment for the trip, but Rachel distracted us with the Beatles store and Sherlock Holmes store. So, naturally, we postponed and went to do that instead. I'm not a huge fan of the Beatles (sorry, sorry), but I enjoyed the store and was very excited to get a picture in front of the real 221B Baler Street!! On the way back to the hostel we randomly found a crêpe shop and these have been my obsession since the weekend in France so we stopped. They were by far the best British crêpes I've tried in the UK this trip! 
Once we got back to the hostel we grabbed Ashley for lunch and tried a place right across the street from where we are staying called Grrrila! I got a grilled chicken sandwich with BBQ and it was very good, but as anyone who knows me can tell you, I can't handle any spice at all so it was a little hot for me. 
Next stop was Highgate Cemetery and it was such a beautiful place full of great history! The graves date back to the 1800's and they are everywhere! The cemetery had 170,000 people buried in it and we highlighted maybe 15 people on the tour. It's interesting to think about why certain people are remembered for centuries and others aren't. But I find philosophy tedious so let's more on...
One man in the cemetery was famous for touring the country with a troupe of exotic animals. Because of this he has a lion on his gravestone who was reported as being so take that children could ride him. The graveyard got a shock when they coordinated records with another graveyard and found the mans nephew was buried there. His cause of death for trampled by elephant so it turns out not all the animals were for riding. 
After touring the west cemetery with a guide we were allowed into the east cemetery for a self guided tour. This was very interesting as well, but since we'd put off our assignment we hurried over to the National Gallery. 
The National Gallery was beautiful. It housed Madonna on the Rocks, many Virgin and Child paintings, Monet Impressionism, and hundreds more than we had time or were able to see. We were unable because more then half the gallery was shut down because of a workers strike! Luckily enough was open to complete our assignment, but it was still a let down. I talked to a worker in the shop and asked what was happening and apparently it had to do with the gallery trying to privatize the jobs of many employees. They were striking for 10 days and this Saturday there will be public protest outside the gallery! Last time there was a public protest hundreds of people showed up so it might be cool to stop by and check that out on Saturday. 
Sophia and I then ran back to the hostel to change for the show and rushed through three tube stops to the area the theatre was. Once we had found the theatre we got some dinner and got excited for the show. The show was "The Play That Goes Wrong" and it has become my absolute favorite show of the trip. It had perfect comedic timing and great actors pretending to me be actors pretending to be characters. I was laughing to the point if gasping for breathe almost the entire show. I cannot say too many good things about this show! Everyone should see it! Afterwards Sophia and I waited outside for the cast to come out and sign our programs. We got everyone's signature and they were all so nice and asked us about our lives and how we liked the play. Another bonus was that they were all ten times more attractive in real life. That is magic right there. This was a great way to spend my last couple days in London. I don't ever want to leave and amazing moments like these are making it harder! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm really jealous that you got to go to the cemetary, although I loved the stage combat workshop we went to. I am a bit surprised at how.large the cemetary is and I can only picture the beautiful and elaborate tombstones and crypts stretching as far as the eye can see in every direction.

    I also wish I would have had time to visit the National Gallery and see the Monet's Sunflowers and Waters Lillies.

    The show was beyond amazing. I want to go back in time just so I can watch it again! The choreography was spot on and it's even more impressive the amount of work that goes into creating such a beautiful and hilarious disaster. I loved the audience interaction that occur ed d, even though it was still the traditional theater setup. Absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of my favorite days on the trip. Highgate Cemetery was absolutely beautiful, and facinating. It is a "living" cemetery so they still do burials, which leads to an interesting array of new and very old gravestones occupying the same general area, and it was interesting to see how the design style of grave memorials has changed over time.
    The National Gallery was amazing, and I love Impressionism so I really enjoyed getting to examine the works of Monet, Van Gogh, and Seurat, three of my favorite artists.
    "The Play That Goes Wrong" was fantastic and it was definitely worth the wait to get the cast to sign our programs after the show. They were so nice and told us that the show is booked until February, but that they will be leaving in August and a new cast will be taking over for them. Three of the members of the cast had also written the show and told us that they might possibly be bringing it to the US after they finish in August.
    Overall it was an amazing day, and a great end to our adventure in London.

    ReplyDelete