Wednesday, May 13, 2015

A Bit of Advice

As a small town girl from Minnesota, I wasn't prepared for the hustle and bustle of the city of London. Hello, and I'm Megan, and I hope that whatever is written in this blog s both interesting and helpful to those that read it. Today was interesting, to say the least. A group and I went to the London Eye after purchasing tickets the night before. This wasn't our whole group if about twenty people, but instead only three. We arrived in time and fully prepared for meeting up with the rest of our group at Blackfriars. However, something interesting happened just before I boarded. My bag was checked and I was asked if I had anything sharp and of I had peeper spray. I answered yes to the latter, as I was given pepper spray shortly before going on the trip. I was pulled away immediately, spray now confiscated as it's illegal in most of Europe, and let off with a warning that next time I would be arrested. Now, I'm not angry. More of surprised, honestly, as I was not warned. So, word of advice, travelers: do not bring pepper spray, or at least make sure it's okay if you do. Otherwise, I'd day always invest in some sort if guide. We had a particularly good one today who gave us a wonderful tour of Shakespeare areas, whether that was homes or significant events in his life. He also gives a ghost tour at night, though I didn't go to that one. The Tower of London is incredible. It's really an amazing piece of architecture, and has a rich history to boot. It's fun to explore with others, and it does have some truly impressive displays and artifacts within. Just be ready for anything to appear around the next corner, whether that's the yeomans patrolling the grounds or the dragon made if armor. There's a lot to see, and it's fairly entertaining.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my I'm glad you didn't get arrested! I agree the tower of london is absolutely incredible I could probably spend all day there but it closed early around 5:30 unfortunately. I really enjoyed it because I don't think I've ever even been in a building that old before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since nothing too bad happened to you it's sort of fun to have a story like that of your time in London! You learn something new everyday I guess....the Tower of London was definitely the highlight of my day! I talked a bit to a staff member and learned so much from her! Apparently the tower has never officially been a prison. In her words "we just had a lot of naughty visitors that stayed a while". That was so bizarre to me since I've only ever thought of it as a prison. Also, Mary Queen of Scots was not kept in the prison. The staff pointed out that it would hve made it to easy for her to switch the loyalties of the guards and take the Tower. Interesting stuff, I could have state there forever!
    The worst thing I learned is that when they used the Tower as a zoo people could pay a small fee to get in or bring a cat or a dog to fee to the lions and they'd get in for free!
    All in all I think we've both been very happy with this trip this far :)

    ReplyDelete