Thursday, May 14, 2015

Theaters

Hi readers!
    My name is Mike Widmer, I am psychology/pre-med major at the College of St. Scholastica. I have one semester, 2 classes, 8 credits to go before graduating this upcoming december. I have been on the nordic ski team at CSS for the past four years. I enjoy, obviously skiing both alpine and nordic, running, rock climbing, exploring and trying new things. That is why I have picked the theater group to try something new to me. I have zero experience in the theater world and its culture. I am excited to try it out!

    Today we started off by heading to the Globe theater, which is the recreation of Shakespeare's theater that burned down many years ago. I was super surprised at how the Globe theater looked exactly like it does in all the models. I did not expect the roof to be made off bundles of straw and reeds. The roof even had moss growing on top of it. Besides a tour of the Globe we also had a workshop. This was super fun. We discussed the different types of language both with our voices and with our bodies. Our workshop instructor had us do activities involving social status and how status in the Elizabethan time was important. He emphasized status with the play, Merchant of Venice and how it is important to the story. After all the talk about the Merchant of Venice I am very excited to see the play and hear its full story. 

    This evening we went to another theater to see the play called 39 Steps which is a comedy. The play only had 4 actors and besides the main character, the two other actors and the one actress switched impressively between many different roles. The class and I had front row seats which was crazy cool and fun to be so close to the stage and really get to see the actors!


Looking forward to the adventures to come in London!
 -Mike


1 comment:

  1. The Globe was amazing! The seats were a lot more steep than I had imagined, but it looked exactly the same as all the pictures make it look. I had no idea that the recreated Globe is not in the same place as the original, but is actually about 250 meters away. The workshop really opened my eyes as to how body language and facial expression really convey even more messages than our voices do. 39 steps was hilarious! I got all covered in soap at the end which was a surprise. The actors/actresses did an incredible job and were so good at switching roles and becoming completely different characters.

    ReplyDelete