Saturday, May 16, 2015

From Hume to Haggis and Back Again

"Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them."
-David Hume


Quoted above is the illustrious philosopher David Hume from Edinburgh, Scotland. Now, I really enjoy this musing, but I would have to alter his words a little to fit my personal outlook.

Yesterday was my first day in Edinburgh and it was sprinkling, casting a grey atmosphere over the city. My mentality mirrored the weather, which was a tad negative. Nevertheless, I was able to see some parts of the city and realized the error of my ways. My friends and I went on an adventure and found the tomb of David Hume, along with some monuments dedicated to famous Scottish men in history. From then my outlook changed as I peered over the enormous city and emerald green highlands. I realized, with a negative attitude comes negative experiences. In this way I agree with Hume.

Today started out beautiful. The sun shone bright through Scottish clouds, greeting me with humility and zest. After a quick breakfast tea at a little cafe called 'Word of Mouth,' my friends and I ventured to Old Town, which is exactly what it sounds; the oldest district of the city. From there we went on a two and a half hour walking tour of the 'Old Town,' and we learned a lot about the history of Edinburgh, it's people, and it's overall rich culture. Being a bagpipe player, poet, lover of landscape, and history junkie, I ate it all up like a cat devouring tuna.

Speaking about eating, I had a wonderful local delicacy today, haggis. What's haggis you ask? It's sheep's intestines stuffed with excess parts of the sheep, missed with herbs and spices, abs served on top of mashed potatoes and turnips. Of course I had Innis and Gunn, an Edinburgh beer along side the dish. I loved it so much, I had it for lunch and dinner at two different Scottish pubs. Now, before you judge or knock it, look at the picture and tell me it doesn't look absolutely mouth-wateringly delicious.
Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them.


I may have digressed a bit, but let's get back on track. On the tour I learned all about Robert the Bruce, Robert Burns, the origins of the term 'shit faced,' Mary Queen of Scots, the origins of tartans, and so much much. (Later I'll dedicate an entire blog to what I learned and the stories told).

After the walking tour, we decided to visit the Castle of Edinburgh, which rest on top of a giant cliff, overlooking the city and rolling hills. Here is where I differ from Hume. He says beauty is in the mind if the person, but looking out over everything my heart sang. I was dumbfounded by the gorgeousness of it all, not to mention the sheer magnitude of the Castle itself. All the poems in the world won't ever be able to capture the awe that is Edinburgh. So, to Hume's point, I say beauty is one part mentality, one part inherency.

Edinburgh

Castle of Edinburgh

Truly this place has inspired me from my bagpipers heart, to my haggis filled stomach. The gentle tunes of pipers playing on the Royal Mile (Old Town's main street) will always be with me. From Hume to Haggis, it is clear why the people from this great place have so much Scottish pride.

Sincerely,
     Thomas Gallegos

Thomas Gallegos has just graduated from St. Scholastica with a Bachelor's degree in journalism with minors in English and management. Apart from being a world traveler, he enjoys many of life's fine adventures. He loves the beauty of language, the people he meets, and of course the stories he hears and tells. In the future he plans to get his Master's in Education in order to become a professor. Whether it is poetry, English, journalism, or history, Thomas looks to inspire his future students as well as currently making beautiful connections with all he meets.


No comments:

Post a Comment