Monday, May 25, 2015

Life Is One Big Road


- Bob Marley

Today was full of mystery, intrigue, rocks, and Bath. First and foremost, after getting on a big tour bus we drove by beautiful pastoral scenes that were reminiscent of Tolkien's Middle Earth. I felt like I was going to see Frodo and Sam traversing over rolling hills, through emerald fields, and traveling in tandem. Although my eyes were dropping like deflated balloons, I did enjoy seeing the long roads and pretty picturesque views.

After the long bus ride we stopped and took time exploring the wonders of Stonehenge. Built three thousand b.c., there is mystery shrouding the ethereal stones. Although there was no mystical shadow or mist, like I romantically expected, I felt a deep appreciation and awe standing amidst the monstrous stones. What amazed me the most was the most was how they moved the massive rocks over hundreds of miles by using timbers to roll and pull them along the countryside. Personally, if I had time travel, I would go back and see exactly what people went to the place for. Was it for sacrifice? Healing? Druid rituals? Tombs? Such a mystery, and so fantastically delicious.
 
Stonehenge was wonderful, but that was only the morning of the day. Later we traveled to Bath, which was very unique to say the least. After grabbing an airy Krispy Kreme, we started our walking tour throughout the city. Above is the Bath Abbey, which was absolutely beautiful. I was speechless. My words were null and my spirits floated into the raised, elongated ceiling. My goodness I was in heaven on earth. I lit a candle for my Grandfather who recently passed.

Apart from the church we learned all about the architecture of Bath and it's Roman and Georgian influences in the building. Oh what it would have been like to take a trip in time and spend a vacation in the original Bath. The hot springs, beautiful spas, and resorts would have been relaxing to say the least. Not to mention drink mineral water infused with 43 different minerals.

Below is the chandelier I claimed as my own in the ballroom in the assembly room. I feel into Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice world and was ready to ballroom dance. However, Matt Randolph beat me to it. I loved the beautiful spacious rooms and the decor. Deep down I want to live in a fancy lifestyle with high tea and biscuits on the daily. However, I can't give up the cask pints I've been enjoying as well. I can't wait to see what this last week has in store, but I know I won't stress because Bob Marley said it best, "Every little thing, is gonna be alright!"

Sincerely,
     Thomas Gallegos

1 comment:

  1. Thomas,

    Wow, nice post! Your pictures paired well with your descriptive retelling of the day's events. I must admit, I too was taken aback by Stonehenge. It was absolutely beautiful and I would love to go back in time to unveil its original uses as well. It's amazing to think about such great historical pieces and places. Listening to the audio tour was fascinating, especially when we got to hear varying opinions about what the stones actually signified. Stonehenge was definitely my favorite part of the day. Later, when we got to Bath, was also enjoyable, but I was getting to be far too tired. Due to my tiredness, the walking tour is a bit of a haze right now, so reading your descriptions was lovely and brought back some valuable pieces of information. Awesome post!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete