Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Busy busy busy

I don't even know where to begin. I thought we were busy before but these last few days have been crazy. We've been all over England. Our days have been packed and we've seen so much. 
Yesterday morning we went to Stonehenge which in some ways was amazing and others a little disappointing. The structure itself was definitely crazy to see in person. It was very impressive. But nobody ever really tells you that there's a busy highway running right by the structure. Also parts of it were rebuilt as recently as the 19th century so you can see modern bits like cement which kind of ruins the antiquity. 
After that adventure, we drove through the countryside to our next destination, the city of Bath. First let me say that the English countryside was as adorable as I had imagined. There were cute little brick homes with modest farms on rolling hills full of mostly sheep, but some other farm animals. I used to think I would move to London if I could but I've now decided that the country is where I should be. 
Once in Bath, we had a walking tour and some free time and then went to our hotel (which was a great break from the hostel back in London). My favorite part of Barh was what we saw today, the old Roman bathhouse. This was basically a spa for the Romans when they ruled England. There were hot baths and hot rooms and massages. It sounded right up my alley. We even got to taste the water from the "sacred" hot springs. It was disgusting. It tasted like warm well water, which being a Duluthian, is not cool with my sophisticated water palate. 
But the history was amazing and a shocking amount of the huge facility is very well preserved. 
Besides seeing the main bath there was a big exhibit on artifacts dug up in the area. This area was a wealth of knowledge on ancient Roman lifestyles and activities. 
After the bathouse, we got back on our bus and made the journey to Stratford-upon-Avon, which is Shakespeare's hometown. We did another walking tour but I'm not a huge Shakespeare fan so I mostly listened to cool information about the town's history. We did get to see Shakespeare's gravesite which was very cool. 
It was at the altar in a beautiful church because he was a part time minister which was something that I never knew. 
Tonight we saw the play Jew of Malta. I had never heard of it but the theater was beautiful and the main actor was incredible. 
We've had a crazy couple of days and I'm very excited to get back to London. 

4 comments:

  1. The Roman Baths were super cool. I would give anything to go back and see what it was like in the time of being used. Interesting to hear about the healing powers they believe the water had. Also interesting to hear the Romans would make a full afternoon there. It was the place to be! Also, I loved the water! If it was cold I could have easily drank several cups. It probably helps that I grew up on well water though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fully enjoy your positivity and insight into our little three day adventure. On many accounts I agree with you fully and also enjoyed the sights we saw. However, knowing stove of the sites were not as old as they appeared was a bit disheartening. Yes, I understand getting an idea of what it was like from a replica, but there is a fine line between simulacra and stressed reality for tourist pleasure. Nevertheless, the Roman Baths were fascinating! I loved to see the old school spa abs how it was based around a goddess essentially. Plus, the kids tour made the whole experience super fun and exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, your pictures of Stonehenge and the English countryside are gorgeous! I agree that the concrete amidst the old stones was a little disappointing, but I would rather have small sections of recreation than a pile of ruins. I'm also amazed that so much has been discovered at Stonehenge, even when half of it hasn't been examined by archeologists yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Emily it was amazing be able to stonehedge but at the same time it was kind of a bummer. It was sweet being able to structure in person after hearing about it all my life. I was super bummed about that at bath I was not able to actaully going in the baths. I was prepared and had brought my swim suit along. I did get drink the water which I thought was alright. The closest thing I can compare it is tasted like pool water.

    ReplyDelete