Friday, May 29, 2015

Last Friday in London

This morning we woke up early to head to the Virginia and Albert Museum. I was expecting the museum to have history of just the royal line or British history, but this museum was similar to the British  Museum in that they had collections from around the world. My favorite exhibit was one of fashion through the ages. The corsets were so constricting; I couldn't even imagine being shrunk to that size. They also had traditional ball gowns from the 17th and 18th century that were probably five feet wide. The paragraph explaining the outfit stated that it took young women practice and skill to navigate their dresses through doorways and carriages. 
We ate lunch at the Borough Market which was an intricate maze filled with flavors from around the world. We had hamburgers, two baskets of strawberries, chocolate brownies, and fudge. It was so delicious! If it wasn't cold and rainy it would have been a perfect day at the market. After lunch we went to the Tate Modern. I am not the biggest fan of modern art; I oftentimes do not understand the artist's intent, even after reading the paragraph summary next to each painting or sculpture. A few of the paintings were so abstract or basic that I feel as if anyone could have created it. There were many people at the museum, however, so other people must truly enjoy the challenge of interpreting modern art. We ate supper at the hostel before heading to our last show of the trip, Everyman. 

This is an old-fashioned tennis outfit.



The waists of these dresses and corsets are so tiny. I cannot comprehend how a woman's waist is able to be squeezed into that size.
This bridge is very close to the Tate Modern and the Everyman show and was featured in a Harry Potter film.


I can't believe that tomorrow is our last day in London. It feels like we've been here much longer than three weeks, and we saw and did so much in that short time. I definitely miss home and cannot wait to see my family and eat homemade American meals again. I plan on coming back to Britain someday and cannot wait to be here again. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wasn't too fond of the Tate Modern. Andy Warhol's work was awesome to see, though. The girls I was walking around with couldn't get over the duct work piece that found its place as art. I wasn't too sure what to expect from the Victoria and Albert Museum, but I was happily surprised. This was my favorite museum we've been to. The fashion exhibit was definitely my favorite as well. The corsets were astonishingly tight, but people were smaller back then as well. However, the ideal waist size was 18 inches at one time, which created many issues for women physically, as their ribs would become disfigured and organs displaced. As fun as those dresses would be to wear, it's definitely not worth all those problems.

    ReplyDelete