Friday, May 15, 2015

I never want to leave this beautiful country...

Hello readers! My name is Rachel Studley. One of 4 girls named Rachel on this trip. I am going into my 5th year at CSS and am majoring in Social Studies Secondary Education and also getting a Cultural Competency certificate.  I currently work at an elementary school and love kids of all ages. In fact I am really missing my kindergarteners since I left last week. This is my first time in England and I'm absolutely loving it, I can't believe our first week here is already over.
Both weekends we have while on this trip are completely free time to travel to other places. That means we are all going or separate ways for a couple days. Many of us went to Paris, a few went to Ireland, a few even flew to Spain. Becca, Thomas, Roni and I chose to take the train to Edinburgh (apparently pronounced like Ed -in -brrrah around here) and I'm totally in love with this city. Great Britain in general is just really pretty the train ride here was well worth the extra couple hours over taking a plane. On the way everything was absolutely gorgeous all the little towns we passed through were absolutely stunning. Though I think my favorite was the cliffs by the sea. 
  This is what we saw when we first walked out of the train station this afternoon.

Almost all the buildings are built out of this beautiful brown stone and the streets are really odd and curvy. There are a lot of alleyways to walk down in between roads and some are even higher than others. 
Becca and I had to walk all the way around the roads because our hostel was lower than the one we were walking on. After joining up again Roni and Thomas we found some dinner and then went exploring. It had stopped raining and the sun came out a little so we decided to walk to Calton hill which has beautiful views of the city. And we stumbled upon a graveyard where David Hume is buried.

And then we continued to see these beautiful views we were promised and we weren't the least bit dissapointed.

In the background there is Edinburgh castle. Which we plan to go to tomorrow and I'm so excited. There aren't even words to express how amazed I am at this city. I don't even care that all the hills and stairs are going to make me feet hurt.

2 comments:

  1. Edinburgh sounds amazing! The streets here in Dublin are very winding and curvy as well, it's a bit confusing if you ask me! Emily and I took a train to a small coastal town today, and I have to agree it's very beautiful! That's really cool that you got to see David Hume's grave too, and the view from the top of the hill must have been gorgeous! Edinburgh Castle looks very pretty also, I hope you had a fantastic time there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That train ride sounds super awesome! We took a plane to Paris and I feel like we missed a lot from flying! It would have been really cool for us to go under the English Channel and go through the English an French countryside! There were some big boulevards here in France but also a lot of small roads and alleyways.

    ReplyDelete