Wednesday, May 20, 2015

I've Lived a Thousand Lives...

"Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life"

- Mark Twain



The hardest part about this trip was not the fear of the seven hour plane ride, nor was it being in another country for three weeks. Rather, it was deciding on which books I was going to bring along. I remember my first plane ride by myself when I was much younger. I was going to Ohio to visit my aunt and uncle and I was scared because it was the biggest trip on my own. However, I brought a book (sadly I can't recall which) to help me through the experience. From then on, every flight I've ever taken I've had a novel by my side.

The day before departing Duluth, I choose "White Tiger" and "The Sun Also Rises," the former I have completed before. Never did I think that in the first week and a half of the trip I'd have already bought three new books, read one, and have started the most recent (Jane Eyre). I suppose what I love about books so much is the stories they tell. Stories about life, love, loss, travels, adventures, mysteries, and a plumage of other equally fascinating topics. A person lives a thousand lives between the pages of books. Whilst I may be no Austen or Tolkien, in the short time I've been abroad, the best souvenirs I'll have are the stories I'll be able to tell.

Speaking of books, yesterday the 19th, our group went to the British Library of which we had a fantastic tour. Our guide lead us through ages upon ages of works behind huge glass walls and showed us reading rooms dedicated to every subject imaginable. To be able to access the wealth of knowledge stored one must acquire a special library card in order to get into said rooms. The guide also told us the library is required to gather all printed material in the UK, which to me is not only astounding, but also nearly incomprehensible.  It would be a dream to be able to sit in the humanities and religions reading rooms and just let me mind wander. Let my eyes pour over volumes of text, soaking the messages like a new plush towel. I could spend hours, days, weeks looking through shelves and not even made a tiny dent on the enormous collection.

The last room in the place we visited was their 'treasured collections' room which help some of their more famous texts (sadly not the Gutenberg bible). There were texts ranging from the notes from Winston Churchill to sacred Hindu texts. People's hearts were displayed on papyrus behind glass cases. Stories were told from the tip of a pen, quill, paint brush or typewriter. That room alone had so many immortalized lives, I did nothing but admire and let my jaw swing like a tire swing from an old willow tree.

Theater, baseline, is story telling in a visual form. There's no escaping stories, so you might as well tell them, or be doomed to live a life of lonely memories. I've seen so many things, like shaking hands with Sir Ian McKellan, and watching Luc nibble away at four chocolate muffins like an eager chipmunk, and it's only halfway done. My goodness, my sleepy conscious is ready for new adventures along the Thames, through the Tube, and into the beautiful country of England.

Sincerely,
     Thomas Gallegos

5 comments:

  1. The British Library was one of the things I was most excited for on this trip. I have a great love for books, particularly the way that they can transport you into an entirely different time, place, and life. Getting to tour the British Library was amazing. I love the glass tower that contained the King's Library, and I wanted so badly to apply to be a reader so that I could request books, such as Shakespeare's First Folio which is housed in the King'S Library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually did the same thing when I was younger, Thomas. I was always reading, ESPECIALLY on longer trips. Even today, I prefer to ride in a passenger seat so I can either read, chat, or watch the world outside.

    I also agree whole-heartedly with Sophi. In fact, there's no reason the three of us couldn't take a trip over to the Library and apply for reader cards, as long as we have an idea of what books we're looking for--The card itself would be a fantastic souvenir too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about this post! I also love to read when traveling, and there are so many comforting things about exploring the world of your characters in a book, that it feels like a second home to me, and I can relax as I become used to the new area I am exploring.

    One of the coolest things that I found about the library we visited, was the fact it is shaped like a boat, which you can only tell when looking at it from one angle. There are so many questions I did not have the chance to ask our tour guide along the way. Most of them are related to newspaper storage and the retrieval using all machinery. I guess those questions will have to wait until another time or for my own discovery. I am still in awe by the Beatles display, which had handwritten lyrics to songs like Help, Ticket to Ride, and Yesterday. An abosuletly incredible experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was always reading when I was younger as well. In fact, a tactic my parents used for discipline was grounding my sister and I from reading. Excessive reading that is, since we'd find ourselves lost in a book and forget to do our chores. For this trip, I packed a book I've read probably a dozen times and a new book. While I enjoyed the library tour, I was disappointed that I couldn't simply pick out a book or two and soak up more knowledge or stories. However, the treasured collections room is definitely one of my favorite experiences from this trip thus far. If only I could read Latin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Books seem to have that calming effect on me as well. I love that a good book has the ability to bring people to their most tranquil of states and to comfort in the most nerve-wracking situations!! The British Library was a great thing to see, I do agree!! It was so interesting to learn about all of the specific processes they go through to obtain books and to let people become "readers". My favorite part of the last room was the Beatles artifacts! It was so cool to see something written by such famous people from the age of amazing music! Great day, I agree!!

    ReplyDelete