Sunday, May 24, 2015

Second Weekend

Hello again readers,

This is the end of the second week of our class being in London. The past two weeks have gone by so fast, I can not believe we only have one more week till we head back to the states. Our days have been jammed pack with theatre workshops, seeing plays, and exploring new parts of the city. 
Yesterday was the first day I have had the chance to sleep in since we got here and it was amazing and nice to get some much needed rest. With breakfast closing at ten and me waking up at 10:30 I headed out and went to a little cafe close by to the hostel. I ordered a coffee and when I got it I was surprised that the coffee came in a bowl. It was interesting sipping coffee out of a bowl.

Yesterday was not the best weather so I decided to go some of the museums in London and explore them. The first one that Rachel and I went to was the Natural History museum which was super exciting. The had a whole exhibit on dinosaurs, and had an animated T-rex. The also had an exhibit on the different mammals on the planet. The had a replica of a blue whale which was enormous. Growing up wanting to be a marine biologist I already knew the blue whale was the largest mammal to ever live and is bigger and longer than a school bus, but seeing it in person baffled me. Especially that this one is not even as big as the usually grow to. Another section of the museum had Charles Darwin’s notes from his discoveries with finches on the Galapagos islands. Another aspect of the museum is there are scientist in it working on solving the tree of life. They are using DNA from different animals to classify them and trying to solve where each organisms falls under the tree.

With todays weather looking better, hopefully I will get the chance to go explore some outdoor markets and explore more of the city under the sun.
Thanks for reading




  -Mike

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Natural History Museum has SO MUCH to offer. Its a very large space with a ton of cool galleries. AND ITS FREE ADMISSION! I really appreciate and admire the fact that many great museums are free to enjoy in London. I wish that the US was similar in this aspect. It seems to be a European custom to have museums and galleries be either free or at least cheaper for students. I think that says a lot about how they value education, art and history. Making it easy for people to enjoy. This is a cultural aspect that I wouldn't mind having the US catch up with. However, the whole coffee in a bowl thing can stay. The Natural History Museum really did have so much to explore. The ‘Blue Zone’ was my favorite space to navigate through. It was fun because of all the massive dinosaurs, and different sea life, and the human biology. The science museum right next door is also free! So obviously a must see right after the Natural History Museum. The science museum was a smaller space with fewer galleries to explore. There is an interesting exhibit titled the History of Medicine. It showcased the progression of medicine through time and in different cultures.

    ReplyDelete