Monday, May 25, 2015

Travel and Tours


Today was quite an adventureous day, we travelled to see Stonehenge and then went on further to Bath.
Stonehenge was both surprising and underwhelming. We had audio guides that gave us information about Stonehenge and the area around it. While the stone formation was awesome to see, photographs of it do it justice. However, the information the audio guides provided was incredible. I had no idea the surrounding area had so much historical background as well. For example, the small hills around the area were burial sites.
I was also able to find a four leaf clover at the visitor's center, so I felt a little extra lucky today.
After we completed our Stonehenge visit, we hopped back on the bus and made our way over to Bath. The views on the way were breath-taking, as the countryside features rolling hills, farmland, and stone houses. I discovered that I much prefer the smaller cities and towns over London when I travelled up to Scotland and today completely reaffirmed tye preferance.
When we got to Bath, we had a bit of free time, so many of us found. An Italian ice cream shop and got something from there. Although it was delicuous, it didn't compare to the gelato from the other day.

Once we caught up with our tour guide, it was clear that the next few hours would be long ones. Although passionate and excited to be leading a tour, our Eastern European tour guide didn't give us too much information on Bath itself. Instead, there was a huge focus on the people who lived there, particularly a man named Beaux.
She did take us in to the Assembly Rooms, though, which were exactly what I expected them to be. They were big and beautifully decorated. It made me want to go back in time so I could experience them in use.

All in all, although the information from the tour was interesting, I wouldn't have expected (or wanted) it from a walking tour. However, our tour guide really was lovely and offered to extend the tour or show us where to go shopping.

We finished the evening going to dinner at Sally Lunn's. I think everyone enjoyed theor meal, and it was fun to eat in the oldest house in Bath.

Thanks for reading!
-Becca


1 comment:

  1. Yesterday was a really long day and some of the information I also could have done without. I loved Stonehenge but I agree that the structure itself was a little underwhelming and the history was very interesting. I love burial mounds and I was so happy to find out that those little hills surrounding Stonehenge were burial sites.

    ReplyDelete