Friday, May 29, 2015

V&A, Borough, Tate Modern, and Everyman!

We started out today at the Victoria and Albert Museum, a grand exhibition of relatively modern art. My favorite exhibits were the Fashion and Jewelry exhibits as well as the theater area. It was so cool seeing all of the history of performance. I even got to see a video of one of the Elphabas applying her green makeup before a show!

After the V&A we went to Borough Market where we walked around and got to smell and see amazing food. I myself got a great chocolate cake!

After stopping at the Globe for a quick shopping trip, we went to the Tate Modern. We had some minor confusion getting in when a nearby office building had to evacuate, but we got in and met up with the group to discuss some details for our final day.

The Tate Modern is a beautiful collection of art ranging in dates from the late 19th century on.


I don't think that modern art is my cup of tea necessarily, but thankfully I was able to get some tea beforehand at the V&A.
There was actually one room of the Museum that I had to just walk out of because the art was very angry and set me on edge almost instantly after walking into the display.

After the Tate we went to Porky's BBQ for supper and watched the boys triumphantly win the man vs. meat challenge. I myself had a disappointing corn on the cob and a delicious drink called the American Daisy. I loved the name because I am an American, but also because of the "daisy farm" CSS was built on! 


Next was Everyman at the National Theater. It was a great new adaptation of an old morality play. I loved the storytelling of a man coming to terms with his death and seeing the stages of grief play out in it. The idea of God as a more conversational character was very appealing and I appreciated the less overwhelming vibe.

5 comments:

  1. The V&A museum was really cool! My favorite part was the entire theatre portion, they had one of Shakeseare's first folios and a lot dope different costumes and set designs. One of the coolest costumes we saw were the costumes for Sarabi and Scar from the Lion King. I wish I would have been able to see the Elphiba video, that would have been awesome. The Man vs rib challenge ended up being a lot more difficult than I had imagined and it took a lot longer than I thought, I definitely rushed to begin with and that caught up to me. But I was able to complete the challenge and get a free t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The V&A museum was very beautiful in its self. So adding more pieces just made it extraordinary in my mind! My favorite part of the place, of course, was the photography part. I would be lying if I said I was not fangirling over the Eadweard Muybridge. It is amazing to see original pieces. Even seeing the Andy Warhol was quite amazing in my mind (at the Tate of course). I would say it was a successful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the fashion and jewelry areas of the V&A too, I missed the theater part though, and it sounds pretty cool! I really loved the Tate, I think it was my favorite museum we went to on this trip. I really liked Everyman too, I wasn't really sure what to expect from it because all I heard beforehand was that it was written in the 1500s, but I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Krissy,
    I was so surprised at what the V&A had to offer, I had no idea that it had fashion and whatnot in it! I really enjoyed the different styles of clothing throughout history. Seeing how tiny the corsets that many women had to wear made me very thankful that it's no longer a trend. I also didn't know that corsets usually had whale bones in them! The play last night was quite.... interesting. I'm still trying to decide if I liked it or not. At the beginning I was very confused, and I also didn't like the amount of curse words that the actors used. The lights and music really emphasized though what was happening, and were retro and different. Oh, by the way, I'm glad you got your cup of tea. :)

    ReplyDelete