Thursday, May 21, 2015

Historical Immersion and Touching Things

If I've learned anything on this trip is that London is really really old. I mean I kind of already knew that but it's way different being here learning about it than just reading about it in a book at school. on this trip I think I've been in buildings that were built anywhere between the 12th century to the present day. That is absolutely unheard of in the US. I've made sure to touch the walls in each place and as many things as possible just say that I did it. It's actually become a point of interest for both me and Becca as we like to discuss what sorts of objects we were able to touch and how old each thing is. Like when we were at the British Museum there was a hands on exhibit and the lady handed me a jade fish and very nonchalantly told me that it was believed to be about 3000 years old. That's just mind blowing to me.
I've gained a whole new perspective of old versus new on this trip. Old in the US is probably about 100 years old and we consider it ancient and if it's a building we probably tear it down and build a new one. London doesn't do this. There are just bits of wall dating from the Roman period and nobody thinks anything of it. The photo below is a larger part of the Roman walls left still standing in the city.
These gates we saw this morning are original to the inn that we visited on our Dickens tour this morning, and Becca and I got to touch them!

We had a Charles Dickens tour this morning and toured his museum which is set up in one of his former homes in the city. We had a lot of tours similar to this one including one about Shakespeare. There are quite a lot of plaques and things throughout the city in remembrance of various things.


London has a very rich history, many of my classmates this week have mentioned our trip to the Museum of London. In order to feel like I have been able to fully appreciate this experience in this incredible city. Me and my friends have been trying to touch as many things as possible.

 In Edinburgh last weekend there was a building on the castle grounds that was built in the 12th century and was able to sit in it and touch the walls! Being in aplace that so many have walked in and used that space before is just unfathomable and so cool.  There is no way I could ever have an experience like that at home and I will never forget that. 

Sincerely, 
Rachel Studley

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I think this trip has really given everyone a new sense of the word "old." Most of the stuff we see here is older than the States themselves! The first time this trip that I felt compelled to touch something before it really registered as "real" was the Eiffel Tower in Paris. Even just looking at it still didn't feel real--not until we were able to climb it and I could actually touch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had so much fun on my trip here touching things that are hundreds and thousands of years old or have a lot of significance. I try also to touch as much as I can when we go to different museums. My favorite memories are the ones if going to places and experiencing it rather than just taking a picture. I find it a lot more meaningful to be able to interact with something and then have that experience. My favorite has been shaking hands with Sir Ian McKellen, That is something that I will always remember and was very monumental.

    ReplyDelete