Saturday, May 23, 2015

Markets and Museums

Rachel, Roni, and I had a relaxing morning, as we didn't leave the hostel until a little after 11. We had a long list of things to do today, so the slow morning felt like an essential start for the day. First on the list was Portobello Market, which turns out to be quite a jaunt from the hostel, but we finally emerged out of the underground in Notting Hill.

 As a Hugh Grant fan, I was a little excited about being there and tried to recognize something from the movie without getting trampled. Or pickpocketed. The worry of being pickpocketed is unfamiliar to me, but the advice of the group that went earlier in the week made me aware. That, and there was a sign in the first store we went in had a sign in several different languages warning customers of pickpocketers.
The market was much different than what I eas anticipating. Instead, it was mostly a bunch of different stores with their merchandise spilling out onto tables in the street. It was also the Minnesota State Fair type of crowded. Rachel and I were specifically looking for teacups, because what better place to buy teacups than England? Fortunately, there were many shops that boasted rows and tables full of intricate and delicately hand painted (not to mention old) teacups. Unfortunately, they either came in  a set of dishes or were around £200.
We both left empty handed.
Although there was a lot of the market left to explore, it started to rain and we all wete getting pretty hungry.  We hopped back on the tube and made our way to the science museum.
I think my group would agree that the 'Who Am I?' exhibit was the best, even though we learned how to burgle in 'The Secret Life of the Home.'
Rachel turning off a window alarm with a coin.

We were pretty exhausted once we finished with the museum, so we went in search of a gelato shop. The one we found, called Scoop, did not disappoint. Although there were a variety of different cone sizes, we all stuck to the smallest one, which turned out to be more than enough.



Although we only got to two of the items on our list of things to do today, I'm thankful that we stull have tomorrow. Hopefully we can seek out some more Shaun the Sheep!

Best,
Becca

2 comments:

  1. The portobello market area was kind of scary! Definitely the scariest place we've been in London. Ashley and I went and we would talk to the shopkeepers and as soon as they found out we were tourists they told us to watch our purses. Despite that, the market was amazing! I spent way too much time and money there and I plan to go back again next weekend. Hopefully there will be room in my suitcase to take all my new stuff home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca, if you're still looking for teacups, there were some for fairly reasonable prices at the Twinings tea shop. Also, I love your large collection of Shawn the Sheep pictures. They have such clever names. I definitely think it's a fun display around London!

    ReplyDelete