Tuesday, May 26, 2015

English Travel

Today we were in the middle of a three-day excursion through the English countryside to two other cities beyond London: Bath and Stratford-upon-Avon. It's been such a treat to have a bit more room over the past two days, as we're staying in hotels during our little trip instead of hostels. What I think I've enjoyed most is the absolute beauty of the scenery as we travel. The city of Bath in particular is absolutely gorgeous. Much like Duluth, it's built on a hill, so from many parts of the city it's possible to look upon expansive views of the buildings as well as the landscape. I think I could vacation there for weeks, just taking in the beauty of the riverside or the magnificent limestone buildings.

We started our day touring what remains of the ancient Roman baths in the heart of the city. Bath, of Aquae Sulis as named by the Romans, is a site of hot springs rich in mineral water. For this reason, a temple and the baths (almost like a modern-day spa) were built by the Romans in honor of the goddess Sulis Minerva in the latter half of the first century. It is amazing to me that something created so many centuries ago still has sections standing. The tour us absolutely worth the chance to stand among so much history.

After lunch in Bath, we had almost a two hour bus ride to Stratford, meaning time for more countryside views and a nice nap! (I think I could get used to the activity in the morning, nap on the bus, and another activity in the afternoon life.)

We took a walking tour in Stratford-upon-Avon (the birthplace of William Shakespeare; see the house where he was born below) and saw a play, The Jew of Malta, that evening at the Swan Theatre of the Royal Shakespeare Company.

I loved seeing the old timber-framed houses. Since they are so flammable, none of the model in London survived the  1666 fire. However, there are many still standing in Stratford, as well as many other original buildings.


2 comments:

  1. Bath reminded me of Duluth too! It was great to finally see some hills! (Though still not quite as steep as Duluth's). I even made a comment about how I expected to see a body of water at the bottom of the hill.
    I wish we could have stayed in Bath longer. I would have loved to have gone to one of the modern hot spring spas and had a day of relaxation and healing like the Romans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing the English countryside as well, the scenery was so pretty! Bath was a beautiful city as well, it had a much more relaxed feel than London does! I really enjoyed touring the Roman baths also, they were a lot bigger than I had expected them to be, I didn't expect all of the little side pools on each end of the larger pool in the middle. I was really surprised that the spring water we got to try tasted like well water, I'm not sure what I was expecting but it definitely wasn't that! That was nice though, because it reminded me of home. I can say that I'm happy to be back in London, be because I know where everything is again!

    ReplyDelete