Saturday, May 30, 2015

What a great day

Today we got to sleep in which was a gift from heaven. My roommates and I decided we were going to head in different directions so Hannah and I went one way and Kenzie and Megan went together. Hannah and I were determined to find Saffron Hill which is a street featured in Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist. We had some trouble finding our way there but once we got our bearings we finally made it! We were like little girls seeing their favorite pop star as soon as we got there! We took some pictures and made our way to a tiny little pub called Ye Old Mitre. It wasn't open so unfortunately we couldn't go inside. But we got some pictures so that was cool!

After Ye Old Mitre we got onto the train to go to Tower Bridge. It was an amazing view that I was sad to leave behind but I'm so happy I got to be so close and got to take some really cool pictures!

After the fabulous bridge, we hurriedly made our way to Big Ben. We had to hurry because we needed to meet as a group before our fair-well dinner. But when we got out of the station we immediately saw Big Ben. It is absolutely beautiful and I love being so close to it!! We had to cross the street close to the station to find a red phone booth that my brother insisted I take a picture of. I got the most spectacular Polaroid picture of the booth with Big Ben in the background! Then it was time to head back to the hostel but we ran into some trouble. We got onto a train that got delayed for a while so we needed to switch really fast!! We had to run through the stations and all the way to our hostel. We only arrived a minute late and we got there before Jed so we were golden!!

We then went to dinner at a pub called The Skinners Arms which was delicious!! We got to watch the Arsenal vs Aston Villa football match which was an authentic and fun way to spend our last night in London!

All in all I had a fabulous last day in this gorgeous city I have gotten to call home for the last 3 weeks. I can't believe it is over and I already want to come back.

Also, a special shout out to Jed, our tour guide. He was such a fun guy to have along showing us the city. Thanks for everything! 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, that is so fantastic you were able to find it! A part of the fun of being in London is being able to see things you've always seen in media. I felt similarly about the St. Pancras Hotel. Which is located right next to Pancras Station and kings cross tube stop. Well anyways, the St. Pancras hotel was featured in the Spice Girl's music video Wannabe. So I can relate to your excitement. I love your Big Ben photo! That is a classic London photo right there. I'm also glad we experienced watching a football match at a pub. I agree it felt very authentic. I also agree Jed was a fun tour leader. He showed us a lot and had a lot of patience, as well as a lot of jokes! He certainly was a memorable part of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, that is so fantastic you were able to find it! A part of the fun of being in London is being able to see things you've always seen in media. I felt similarly about the St. Pancras Hotel. Which is located right next to Pancras Station and kings cross tube stop. Well anyways, the St. Pancras hotel was featured in the Spice Girl's music video Wannabe. So I can relate to your excitement. I love your Big Ben photo! That is a classic London photo right there. I'm also glad we experienced watching a football match at a pub. I agree it felt very authentic. I also agree Jed was a fun tour leader. He showed us a lot and had a lot of patience, as well as a lot of jokes! He certainly was a memorable part of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel I am so glad you had a memorable last day! I can't believe it's over. 3 weeks have never gone faster in my whole life!
    I hope Stephanie doesn't hold this against my grade, but I can't remember why saffron hill is important in Oliver Twist! I feel like it's something to do with Oliver and Sykes....
    Anyways that is super nice of you to shoutout to Jed. He did a great job and the trip would have been different with anyone else.
    It was so nice getting to know you and everyone better this trip. I can't wait to see each other again in September!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan, you didn't think I'd read all of the comments, did you?!!

    ReplyDelete