Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Scones and Goosebumps

As with everyday we have had on this awesome trip, we stuffed it with activities.  We started out with a trip to the Museum of London. This Museum took us through a timeline of this great city. From its beginnings to the present day. While it was full of interesting facts, two really stuck out in my mind. The first being that the Romans conquered London in about 550. When I think about Britain I don't really think about Romans being apart of it. Another interesting fact was that fire insurance originated in 1680, likely as a result of the great fire a few years prior. Cool to see where something like that comes from. Oh also, cheating in games has always been apart of our history. I found weighted dice from the 1400's! 

Our next activity was High Tea, a afternoon meal consisting of English breakfast tea, four kinds of finger sandwiches, and amazing array of desserts. Having such a sweet tooth, this was heaven. The real star of this meal however were the scones. They were warm, delicious, and by far the best thing I have ate on this trip. They had what was called clotted cream to spread on the scones. It was kind of like butter, but not so greasy. It was very tasty. I was surprised to find I even liked the tea! 

After a quick break at the hostel, Kenzie and I tried our luck in the lottery for Book of Mormon tickets. Sadly, we were unsuccessful. Fortunately, another show was playing just a few train stops away. We hoped on, went to the box office and got tickets for a little show called Wicked. This spin on the Wizard of Oz has been playing for nine years and I can see why! It was phenomenal! Absolutely mind blowing. I would say it is the most clever show I have ever seen. The singing was amazing, the set was beautiful and intricate, and the show totally engulfs you. As Roni would say, another out of body experience. The six of us that ended up going felt out of breath and emotionally drained from this masterpiece. I am thrilled I had the opportunity to see this amazing show! 
As you would guess, it has been another fanatic day. Although I'm not home watching the finale of Survivor, (and it's killing me inside a little) I am having a blast here in London. We are about halfway through our trip but still have plenty of fun to come! 



4 comments:

  1. Jake Spartz!!

    I am so happy to hear you say that something is almost worth missing the finale of Survivor. Not truly worth it, but close! I also found the Museum of London super interesting and I would have to say that I liked it better then the British Museum. Since it was more specific I felt like I learned more. I did not see the weighted dice you saw, but I did see all the recreations of what housing would have been like during the various periods of London's past and that was so interesting. At one point I thought about how nice a little dwelling would be for me to live in and then I read that it would have held 8 people!!! Times have changed for what we consider living space.
    I am sorry you did not get the Book of Mormon tickets, but I am so jealous that you all saw Wicked. I love that musical so much and I am sure they did just the best job on the West End. The Virginia Woolf Ballet that the lit group saw was certainly worth it though, so I can't be too jealous.All in all I would count this day as another wonderful one in London!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The museum that day was amazing! Mostly because of learning about how London has developed and had its many hardships, but it's still fascinating to see how much history is buried in this culture. My favorite moment was probably seeing the remains of the Roman wall outside in one of the courtyards that's much lower than the current city. It's funny and strange to think that while we wander around the city and learn everything, there's yet another city in ruins some fifteen feet below us that's centuries old. It makes me wonder exactly how big the Roman city was, and how much of it is just waiting to be discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have to say Wicked is one of mg favorite moments this far! The way the songs created instant goosebumps was astounding! Also the tea we attended was so surprising. I have never had properly prepared scones before, so these ones were true heaven in my mouth! I am more than excited for the adventures to come in Bath and Stratford!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jake! I hadn't known until this trip either that the Romans were such a huge part of London's history. I have really found it fascinating to see the Roman wall that was at the museum we went to. There was a corset at the museum that stunned me, I couldn't believe how tiny it was and that they used to expect women to be that itty bitty size! I am bummed that we haven't won tickets yet to the Book of Mormon, but we must persevere! I enjoyed going to Pret with you and just chatting, it's nice to get to know the people on this trip I don't know as well. Wicked was absolutely amazing; I had no idea that it would end the way it did! I loved all the staging and set and of course the fantastic green lights.

    ReplyDelete