Wednesday, May 20, 2015

A busy day in London!


Today has been a pretty good day with a lot of things to do. We woke up around 
7am and had to get ready for the Museum of London. After hearing we were going to a museum again after yesterday when we were at the British museum, I was a little reluctant. However, I am very pleased with what it turned out to be like! We went straight to an exhibit called "London Before London". It was all about the Paleolithic era of the region we are in and what London was like before it was declared a city and even a region do England. I really liked that area of the museum because I like history and natural history and there was tons of that in this exhibit! We then moved on to the fire and plague portion of the museum which was about the plague of 1665 and the fire of London in 1666. They were both amazing portions of the museum that I thoroughly enjoyed! There were paintings in the fire section that depicted the fire and the burning of the buildings throughout the city. I also saw the arial view of the portion of the city that got burnt throughout the four days of the fire. During that time, the city got destroyed! We finished the museum with artifacts from the 1800's up to now, the 21st century. After the museum Kenzie, Hannah, Rachel and I took a stroll to the nearest tube station to try to find the Twinnings tea shop. Hannah has wanted to go there the whole trip and has been taking about it for even longer. We made it half way there when we realized we would not have enough time to get there and make it to our meeting spot for our next activity. So we turned around and made our way to Lancaster Gate tube station. We stepped onto the Central train and rode that for a few stops before it broke down completely. We had to get off and find our way to another train which was really stressful! We were counting down the minutes before we had to meet with our group and that made us all a little nervous. We made our way through many people and onto another few trains and ended up being only 3 minutes late to our meeting. We made our way to High Tea and the Royal Park Hotel after meeting up with all of the group. It was an absolutely beautiful location and it was extremely different from what we were used to. I felt like a true English woman! We went back to the hostel, freshened up and rested for a while before we got ready for Woolf Works which is a ballet of some different works by Virginia Woolf. The ballet was at the Royal Opera House which is in close to Leicester Square. The show was amazing and the dancers were so exquisite. The music was incredible and the atmosphere of the opera house is incredible. All in all the ballet was fabulous and the day was amazing! I am so glad we got the opportunity to do all of the amazing things we did today! 



3 comments:

  1. The Woolf Works Ballet at the Royal Opera House was amazing! The music was phenomenal, and the entire performance was beautifully done. It was so interesting to see how different aspects of Woolf's work and life were interpreted and incorporated into the ballet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Woolf Ballet was fabulous in my opinion too! I will say, with regret, that I have never seen a ballet before and I don't know if I appreciated it the way that others could have, but I enjkoyed it so much. The last part in particular was so emotional and moving. Watching someone mastermind and accept their own death is so complex and they executed it well.
    I am also glad to hear that I was not the only slightly reluctant one regarding museums after the British Museum. It was super interesting, but so big and overwhelming. The London Museum was the perfect mix of lots of history based in a specific time and place. I enjoyed my time there a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Museum of London! I actually liked it more than the British Museum because it was more focused and had a good layout. The fire stuff was super interesting. I found out fire insurance was created as a result of the great fire. Very informative. Also High Tea was amazing. Those scones will be a major highlight of my trip and possibly in my top 10 favorite things. I was surprised I even liked the tea! Also for such small portions I was stuffed by the end.

    ReplyDelete